Single Speed Conversion
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

Single Speed Conversion

I'm converting a 1997 Peugeot Hybrid to a single speed. The original deraillure was a Shimano Altus with a rear dropout deraillure hanger setup. I've given up on fiding something to replace the dropout hanger (probably something easy to order that I just haven't found) and am going for a fixed chain length approach.

The original fron chain crank/chain ring set up was a bit strange with the triple chain ring and crank all one assembly that was welded together -- can't take the chain rings apart from the crank. The bottom bracket is a spindle/ball bearing setup, rather than a cartridge style.

The question -- any hints about a replacement crank and chain ring? I can always go with the original triple and just use the large chain ring, but it seems tacky. Any thoughts/insights?

Thanks from a novice wrench.

Arrogant roadie.....
    Does the bike have horizontal dropouts? If it doesn't, you WILL need a chain tensioner to fit where your old dérailleur used to be.

As far as the welded crank-ring assembly, you can always just elect to leave the chain on the middle ring and just go with that. Otherwise, you'll need to buy a new crankset and a new ring, and swap pedals.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    Does the bike have horizontal dropouts? If it doesn't, you WILL need a chain tensioner

not nec... if not he just won't have much choice in gearing