single speed conversion
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

single speed conversion

I need to get educated on this subject

So I can buy a single speed conversion kit that fits on the 8/9/10 speed freehub on the rear wheel, use the spacer for chainline and pick a cog for gear ratio, I get that part.

What about the rest of it, how do you size the chain, adjust slack etc

P.S. I have seen those dolly wheels that clamps on the chainstay, but not sure how I feel about doing that on a carbon frame.

THanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most versions of those tensioners (that's what the "dolly wheel" thing is called) attach to the derailleur hanger, so no worries about your frame.

Here's some reading for you:
    Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks JCavilla, I have been to sheldon's page and that's where I saw the clamp style tensioner. I have seen a member's bike does not have any tensioners but obviously was not a single speed bike I think unless it was a track bicycle.. how was that done?

Should the bottom bracket cups be flush to the frame?

Does anyone have recommendation for the best parts to use?

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    if it was a 'track' frame or a frame specifically made to be a single speed it has horizontal dropouts so you can adjust chain tension.
    there are many chain tensioners available that bolt to the derailleur hanger just like a derailleur would.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    if it was a 'track' frame or a frame specifically made to be a single speed it has horizontal dropouts so you can adjust chain tension.
    there are many chain tensioners available that bolt to the derailleur hanger just like a derailleur would.
    Or an older road frame with horizontal dropouts. My fixies are built on garage-sale frames.

And even with vertical dropouts you can get adequate chain tension without a tensioner with some combination of a magic gear and/or half-link. And of course the elegant but expensive Eno hub, but it sounds like you're preferring to do it on the cheap (which is the way I like to go, too ;-)

Sheldon covers all of this in his articles on fixed-gear and single-speed conversions.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    it sounds like you're preferring to do it on the cheap (which is the way I like to go, too ;-)
    Without hacksawing them off what is the cheap way to cover up Down Tube shifter bosses?
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Umm . . , duct tape? I don't really know. Problem Solvers makes some pretty metal covers, but they're 15 or 20 bucks, so maybe that's not cheap enough for you. I'd think a creative person could improvise something from various materials. Sculpey? You could make little faces on them.

Thing is, if you cover them there's still a bump there, just a different bump, so you lose some of the clean simple look. If there's a chance you might reverse the conversion, that would be a reason to cover them, but otherwise . . .

I went the hacksaw and file route. Looks pretty good to my eye, and there's nothing for my knee to bump into when I'm thrashing up a hill.