Is Smaller Diameter Threaded Fork OK? Peugeot
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

Question Is Smaller Diameter Threaded Fork OK? Peugeot

Peugeot UO-8, early '80s

Is it OK to install a threaded fork that is slightly smaller in diameter than stock?

My local bike shop just did that for my road bike, and I feel slop in it when I'm riding.

I suppose it could be it needs to be tightened some more; but it seems wrong to me all around anyway.

--------------

The mechanic told me he had a fork to fit my frame on which I had trashed the original fork in an accident. I took that to mean just what it says. I interpret fitting as being the right size.

When I picked the bike up, the fork didn't look like a Peugeot fork. It didn't have the Peugeot decals on it. I questioned it and then he told me it was not the correct size, as Peugeot sizing is unusual. I already know about the unique sizing French bikes use. That's why I specifically asked him if he had a Peugeot fork before I left the bike with him; and he assured me he had something that would fit.

He also charged me to replace the bearings and races which I wasn't expecting and wasn't part of the up front estimate for the work. When I picked the bike up, he told me he wasn't able to reuse the Peugeot parts. At the time I thought he meant because they were worn or unservicable, and I half asked, half stated to that effect. He didn't actually answer that question at the time. Now that I think about it; it seem likely what he meant was, because he used an incorrectly sized fork, he had to match it with new incorrectly sized bearing races. If that is the case, I just wound up paying extra so that the wrong part could be installed.

Now I hope I can get that hardware back from him (but he might have thrown them away already.) Now if I find the correct Peugeot fork, I might have to find and pay for the correct hardware to go with it again.

Does any of this seem right, or is it wrong?
    Last edited by TomBrooklyn; 01-20-2014 at 05:54 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you know how to adjust headset bearings, try adjusting it first. It should be possible to adjust it to get rid of any play. You can put a non-French fork on a French frame, but you have to use a standard (non-French) headset (the threads won't work, but that's the only part that's really different). That's why your guy changed the headset.

It should work, if you adjust the bearing pre-load properly. He didn't stiff you or mislead you, but he might not have explained things properly, and it sounds like he didn't do the final adjustment too carefully.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Sounds like LBS did a "conversion": Links

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    If you know how to adjust headset bearings, try adjusting it first. It should be possible to adjust it to get rid of any play.
    I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    You can put a non-French fork on a French frame, but you have to use a standard (non-French) headset (the threads won't work, but that's the only part that's really different). That's why your guy changed the headset.
    OK. That's good to know.

It occurred to me later to wonder how he got he handlebar stem to fit into that new fork.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Sounds like LBS did a "conversion": Links
    Thanks for that link. It looks useful for Peugeot owners like myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    It occurred to me later to wonder how he got he handlebar stem to fit into that new fork.
    That just occurred to me, too, and that may be where your real issue is. Fitting it in is not the problem, because the French stem is smaller than the opening in the British fork. But it will have some slop, and that may be the play you feel when riding. At the link that crit boy posted it says this:
    Some people like to cut corners and 'shim' a French 22.0mm stem up to the 22.2mm British size. This is easily done by cutting a thin soda can. Remember you only need a thickness of .1mm for the shim. I'm not a proponent of shimming stems and DO NOT recommend this technique.
    If it's the stem-to-steerer interface that's moving, I'd try that.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I found the top race was loose, so that was obviously a problem. I just snugged it up, but a very slow test ride was inconclusive, as there is a lot of snow on the ground and just staying upright takes all my concentration.

I not using the stock handlebar stem. I put Nitto Techtronic in there, and I had to sand it down to get it to fit. It fit tight into the Peugeot fork.

I called the LBS owner/mechanic and he told me the ID of the steerer tube is the same as the Peugeot; and it's a 26mm OD, which he called a widely standard size.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    I found the top race was loose, so that was obviously a problem. I just snugged it up, but a very slow test ride was inconclusive, as there is a lot of snow on the ground and just staying upright takes all my concentration.

I not using the stock handlebar stem. I put Nitto Techtronic in there, and I had to sand it down to get it to fit. It fit tight into the Peugeot fork.

I called the LBS owner/mechanic and he told me the ID of the steerer tube is the same as the Peugeot; and it's a 26mm OD, which he called a widely standard size.
    Sounds like that top race was probably the issue.

My first 10-speed was a Peugeot UO-8. Bought it in 1972 and rode it happily until it was stolen in 1987 (with a few upgrades along the way - my first wheel-building experience was replacing the steel rims with aluminum, and I was very happy to upgrade to a "cotterless" crank). It was a good bike.

ride on.