SMP Composit experience: anybody?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019

SMP Composit experience: anybody?

I'm looking for a new saddle on my CAAD12. I had an SMP Dynamic on my MTB, which I transplanted to the road bike as a temporary solution for the standard Prolog Nago.

As I want the Dynamic back on the MTB I'm looking for a final solution for the CAAD. The Dynamic is pretty fine but I have the tendency to sit really at the wider part at the end of the saddle. So I'm wondering if a little wider saddle would be better. Which brings me to the SMP Composit. According to the site of Steve Hogg the Composit is wider in the middle section so I guess that could solve the issue.
    Another thing about the Composit is that it has no padding. Bloody hard, but it seems you get used to that.
    Third point: have carbon saddle rails a positive effect on shock absorption, or is this just marginal?

So what are your thoughts/experiences?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    How good are your roads?

I had the titanium rail version for many years and liked it (Got it from Performance Bike RIP for 50% off)....I stopped using after I got a seriously bruised backside and was barely able to finish a 5-day tour. 20 miles. Every single expansion joint in the road. KA THUNK all afternoon. And got, well, a couple bruises.

Otherwise if it fits your backside, it is a nice saddle. I was really needing to re-cover mine, up until the Dam Road day in the saddle....now it is in my parts bin.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    In general, road conditions aren't optimal but not to bad either. What worries me most are cobbles... not that they're on the menu every week but still....

Anyway, I think I'll give it a try, thanks for your feedback.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa_m View Post
    In general, road conditions aren't optimal but not to bad either. What worries me most are cobbles... not that they're on the menu every week but still....

Anyway, I think I'll give it a try, thanks for your feedback.
    Even with good shorts...be prepared to have to stand and pedal.

I switched to the firm-padded end of the SMP lineup after the Dam Road Day. SMP does have a range of coverings,w which is nice. From none-at-all->padded.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Time for an update.

Installed the Composit last week. Did a few +2h trips, 99% of the time in the saddle (towpath along river Schelde). Based on this short period I must say that this saddle suits me perfectly. Nose might have to drop a bit more as there's light pressure on sensitive parts when riding in the drops, but for the rest I 'm very happy. It's hard but not uncomfortable at all. Until now I haven't had any sore bones or numb parts. Much better also than the Dynamic on my MTB, I'm pretty sure now that the shop that sold me that one doesn't know much about anatomy and biomechanics.

So it lools like the Composit is the right one for me.
    Last edited by Alfa_m; 02-19-2019 at 11:38 AM.