Spacer or no?

Thread: Spacer or no?

What the what???

Spacer or no?

SRAM PG1130 cassette 11-36 11 speed
    Shimano 105 road hub 10/11 speed

The cassette (without a spacer) has a very slight bit of play (outboard/inboard) even when the lock ring is torqued to spec. I'm not sure if this is acceptable tolerance or not.

The cassette (with a spacer) does not want to allow the lock ring to engage.

The SRAM site states:

"cassette fits 10 and 11-speed non-XD driver bodies (1.85mm spacer is required for 11-speed drivers"

The Shimano hub is spec'd as 10/11.

Spacer or no?
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Should not need a spacer. The only time you'd need a spacer is a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed freehub. The italicized bit you posted is weird. You should only see that on instructions for a 10 speed cassette. You sure it's not just a tiny bit of play in the freehub?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Should not need a spacer. The only time you'd need a spacer is a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed freehub. The italicized bit you posted is weird. You should only see that on instructions for a 10 speed cassette. You sure it's not just a tiny bit of play in the freehub?
    Could be, but it doesn't feel like the freehub. It feels like the cassette itself is able to wiggle just a bit. Maybe I need to recheck the torque. The SRAM lock rings calls for 40Nm.

The site I pulled the quote from is: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cs-pg-1130-a1.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post

The SRAM site states:

"cassette fits 10 and 11-speed non-XD driver bodies (1.85mm spacer is required for 11-speed drivers"

The Shimano hub is spec'd as 10/11.
    Not that this answers your question but what the site says is: "11-42t cassette fits 10 and 11-speed non-XD driver bodies (1.85mm spacer is required for 11-speed drivers"

So that's not about your cassette.

And not that it should have anything to do with fitting on a hub but there's this about your cassette: "11-36t and 11-42t cassettes are compatible with 1x drivetrains only"

Anyway, there is more than 1.85mm of threads on a lock ring. So it wouldn't make sense that a 1.85 spacer is the difference between play and not engaging.

Have you used either as part of another combo? If you're not messing anything up I can only guess one is defective.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Not that this answers your question but what the site says is: "11-42t cassette fits 10 and 11-speed non-XD driver bodies (1.85mm spacer is required for 11-speed drivers"

So that's not about your cassette.

And not that it should have anything to do with fitting on a hub but there's this about your cassette: "11-36t and 11-42t cassettes are compatible with 1x drivetrains only"

Anyway, there is more than 1.85mm of threads on a lock ring. So it wouldn't make sense that a 1.85 spacer is the difference between play and not engaging.

Have you used either as part of another combo? If you're not messing anything up I can only guess one is defective.
    Thanks, Jay. In this case, I am running it as a 1X with a Rotor Aldhu crank and Q-Ring up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm stumped. Maybe Srams website should have mentioned 11-36 along with 11-42 with regard to spacers? 36 is pretty big and they mention them together with regard to 1x so they may have messed up there I guess?

But that wouldn't explain your issue. Just doesn't make sense that 1.85 brings you from play to no engagement.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I'm stumped. Maybe Srams website should have mentioned 11-36 along with 11-42 with regard to spacers? 36 is pretty big and they mention them together with regard to 1x so they may have messed up there I guess?

But that wouldn't explain your issue. Just doesn't make sense that 1.85 brings you from play to no engagement.
    True. Ill keep trying to fix it until I well and truly break it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Could be, but it doesn't feel like the freehub. It feels like the cassette itself is able to wiggle just a bit. Maybe I need to recheck the torque. The SRAM lock rings calls for 40Nm.
    Once the lock ring is fully engaged with the cassette (well before your each full torque) any play would be removed. It is much more likely to be as CX suggests - play in the freehub. When you say it doesn't "feel" like that, what do you mean? You should be able to look at where the freehub interfaces with the hub and see if there is any play there when you wiggle the cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Thread the lock ring on till bottoms out without a cassette. Counting # of turns it takes. Mount cassette, do the same till tight. You will now know if the lock ring is bearing against cassetee or bottomed out

Viola! Mo guess work involved.

Happy Thanksgiving

Banned forever.....or not
    If the little bit of play bothers you, you might want to try one of the old 1mm Shimano spacers that Shimano supplied with it's 10 speed cassettes.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!