SPD and SPD Road question ....

May 2003

Question SPD and SPD Road question ....

Hi. I want to get some cheap SPD pedals for my road bike. I already have some shoes,
    Shimano SH - MO20 mountain shoes. What i am wondering is will these shoes work with SPD Road Cleats? Would the holes in the road cleats match up with the shoes? OR would i be able to use SPD non-road cleats with SPD Road pedals? IN particular, I was looking to purchase Time Mid SPD Road Pedals. Theyre cheap and good looking. They say they are compatible with SPD road shoes. But would they work with my shoes? thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

Spd

The S in SPD stands for Shimano and don't count on any other cleats being truly compatible with SPD's. For best results with you SPD mtn. shoes just use SPD mtn. pedals. Shimano use to make SPD road pedals, I still have two sets that I use on touring bikes. It's ok to use mtn. shoes and pedals on your road bike if that's what you want. If you want more float I think you can use Speedplay Frog cleats and pedals with your shoes but check with your LBS. There are probably other cleats that will fit your shoes but I would use cleats that are specific to the brand of pedal instead of mixing brands.

Al

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Short answer

Yes. There is no difference in SPD cleats or pedals regardless whether double sided for MTB or single sided for Road.

Regards,
    Sean

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

There's a difference.

Yes. There is no difference in SPD cleats or pedals regardless whether double sided for MTB or single sided for Road.
    Uh....have you seen a pair of SPD-R cleats? They are indeed, very different from regular old SPD Mtn cleats. Furthermore, Shimano makes a SPD mtn shoe and a SPD road shoe. The bolt patterns are completely different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Well

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDreamin
    Uh....have you seen a pair of SPD-R cleats? They are indeed, very different from regular old SPD Mtn cleats. Furthermore, Shimano makes a SPD mtn shoe and a SPD road shoe. The bolt patterns are completely different.
    You shouldn't confuse SPD and SPD-R. They are different systems. There is SPD for MTB which is double sided entry and SPR for Road which is single sided entry. SPD-R is a totally different system that has since vanished.

Regards,
    Sean