RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

speed play click

I rode with a buddy this morning who is having a click in his speed plays, as he is pedalling. It is at the same spot every rotation.

He has lubed it to the max, any suggestions?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I rode with a buddy this morning who is having a click in his speed plays, as he is pedalling. It is at the same spot every rotation.

He has lubed it to the max, any suggestions?
    How are you sure it is the pedals? It could be a whole bunch of things that also would click at the same point in every revolution. If "lubed it to the max" means injecting new grease until clean grease is coming out of the other side of the pedal, then it is unlikely to be anything internal to the pedal unless the bearings are shot. Are the Allen screws that hold the plates onto the pedal fully tightened with greased threads? Are the cleats secure on the shoes with greased thread bolts? What condition are the cleats in?

And then there is that long list of things that click when you pedal. If your buddy swaps out the Speedplays and the noise goes away, that is the only definitive proof that it is the pedals (or how the cleats interact with the pedals).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    You have a lot of questions, that I don't have the answers for. That is good, I'll relay you info. I don't think it's the bike, but we will see.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    For what it’s worth I had a click in a month old pair of Speedplay’s. Same problem as you describe there was a click at the same spot while pedaling from the right pedal. In my case I just had to re-grease the pedal threads. It’s been fine since doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RoadBikeReview Member
    As Kerry said, it could be something other than the pedals. It could be the bottom bracket or even the seat post. The only way to find out is to eliminate suspects.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein