Speedplay Lube Question
    a Freds Fred

Speedplay Lube Question

I am trying to lube my Speedplay pedals. (X-5 and Frogs) I am able to succesfully lube only 1 pedal on each style. On the pedals that I have been able to grease, the grease ejects out the shaft side and I can continue to the point where Im getting clean grease coming out the shaft end. On the other 2 pedals the grease merely squeezes back out toward me through the inlet port. I've tried injecting the grease slow and fast, tried to clear any debris that may be blocking the inlet, all to no avail. Anyone have this problem and know of a fix. Nothing on their website suggests a fix.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Are you able to stick a small wire (maybe a straight pin) through the hole to confirm that it is open.
    Send Speedplay your question via e-mail.

Al

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    I am trying to lube my Speedplay pedals. (X-5 and Frogs) I am able to succesfully lube only 1 pedal on each style. On the pedals that I have been able to grease, the grease ejects out the shaft side and I can continue to the point where Im getting clean grease coming out the shaft end. On the other 2 pedals the grease merely squeezes back out toward me through the inlet port. I've tried injecting the grease slow and fast, tried to clear any debris that may be blocking the inlet, all to no avail. Anyone have this problem and know of a fix. Nothing on their website suggests a fix.

Thanks
    Bryan,

I have experienced that same problem, and in fact just relubed my zeros yesterday. I've found that holding the black outside piece in with a good amount of force will help to keep the new grease from backing out. I also use alot of forward force as I pump the grease into the port hole. It gets messy and I seem to lose alot of new grease but it's the only way to ensure I'm getting enough into the pedal body. Use alot of force/pressure when pumping and holding. It's the only thing that I've come up with to get the grease where it belongs.

a Freds Fred
    I actually called Speedplay as suggested on their website. Haven't heard back from them yet and Im leaving for Yellowstone monday, so I hope they call back!

I tried sticking a small scribe in the inlet port and as far as I can tell nothing was blocking.

Anuywaka, the "black outside piece" you are talking about, is that the pedals axle/shaft? I've used quite a bit of force to hold it in and I was afraid that I may ruin the threads. Anyway, I guess I'll just keep trying.

Thanks

Jul 2005
    How often are you supposed to lube the speedplays (I have the zero chro-molys)? Every year? 3000 miles? What is recommended?

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    I actually called Speedplay as suggested on their website. Haven't heard back from them yet and Im leaving for Yellowstone monday, so I hope they call back!

I tried sticking a small scribe in the inlet port and as far as I can tell nothing was blocking.

Anuywaka, the "black outside piece" you are talking about, is that the pedals axle/shaft? I've used quite a bit of force to hold it in and I was afraid that I may ruin the threads. Anyway, I guess I'll just keep trying.

Thanks
    No, the black plastic piece is just that, a plastic dust cover that snaps back into place and is held in place once you re-thread the little screw. The outside black dust cover has nothing to do with threads or the pedal axle so don't worry about trying to keep it in place with pressure when you are attempting to pump the grease in and through the pedal body.

Like I said, it will get messy but you should be able to keep the plastic dust cover somewhat in place. I found it pumped grease through better with the dust cover on rather than just trying to pump grease with it off. Maybe it helps with back pressure or something. You might even want to take the pedal off, hold it by the spindle and hold your thumb over the dust cover as you pump the grease with the other hand. In this way you will actually feel the old grease/new grease exiting out of the spindle end of the pedal body.

Keep trying, you will get it and you can't hurt anything this way.

As for how often I re-grease, just when I begin to feel less friction in the way the pedal body turns. It should feel like there is drag on the body and definitely re-grease if your pedal spins freely. That is a sure sign that there is minimal grease inside on the bearings.

a Freds Fred
    What a messy pain in the @ss! There was no way I could get the grease injected into the pedal. I ended up having to completely disassemble it. It wasn't difficult, just not as advertised. When you remove the pedal body there is an alloy sleeve that fits over the spindle. This sleeve is where the bearings are held. Speedplays website says the needle bearing are permanately fixed inside the alloy sleeve. Mine were actually protruding from the alloy sleeve. So I had to press the bearings back into the sleeve and then reassemble the pedal. Finally after all the mess, I was able to grease the bearing normally. Also, I spoke with a "tech" at Speedplay. He really wanted to help me, but short of telling me to spin the pedal as I injected grease, he had no clue.

Felt35, Speedplay says to grease the bearing every 2000 miles or 3 months.

Thanks for the help guys!