Square Taper Bottom bracket confusion, confusion, confusion!!!
    RoadBikeReview Member

Square Taper Bottom bracket confusion, confusion, confusion!!!

I have only installed the newer ultra torque BB cups and cranks on all my builds. I am about to take the backwards leap to square taper bb on my two Italian frames. I have a Veloce group that I will put on one of my frames and the group comes with an English BB. Both my frames- a 2005 Mondonico super leggero and 2008 Tommasini Tecno have Italian BBs. So in looking for BBs, I should get a 70mm shell right? All Italian threaded frames have 70mm shells right? Then, what spindle length should I get for a standard double? Is 111mm the norm? Can I use 102 or 115.5 lengths? When would I want to use a different length? Anything else I need to consider? Thanks all!
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

Militant commuter
    Yes, if those frames truly have Italian-threaded BB shells, they are 70mm in width.

A Veloce crankset takes a 111mm spindle. The other lengths you mentioned are for other cranksets (Record and road triple, respectively) and you don't want to mess with the wrong spindle length.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
    Is 111mm the norm? Can I use 102 or 115.5 lengths? When would I want to use a different length?!
    It might clear up some confusion if you keep in mind that spindle length is solely determined by the crank's design. In other words, certain cranks need to be used with certain spindle lengths to give you an acceptable chainline and alllow enough chainring-to-chainstay clearance.

Since the crank manufacturer can't know the exact specs of every single frame out there, he specifies a spindle length that in his estimation will work best with most frames out there. But that doesn't mean the crank could work with a slightly shorter or longer spindle as well if, for example, you're putting it on an odd frame or have special requirements, like a wider-than-normal tread.

J24
    J24
    Oct 2003
    Might want to check your Mondonico, the bb width is 68mm on my 2006 Mondonico Diamond Extra

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys! Great gouge!

@ J24: Are you saying your Diamond Extra has a 68 mm shell with English threads or Italian threads? Did they mix and match or was Mondonico at the front with putting English BBs on frames made in Italy? Supposedly my 2005 Super Leggero was one of the last frames built by Antonio. Do you know if yours is a Billato Bros built Mondonico and if so, does the 68 mm shell coincide with the switch to the B bros? Should I see something obvious that tells me whether it is a 68 or 70, English or Italian? Maybe stamped serial numbers or something? Thanks again guys!!!
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

duh...
    102 is for newer record & chorus, 111 for older stuff and newer athena and lower, 115 for triples typically. length depends on the crank, altho if you don't care about proper chainline or whether your front der will have enough 'throw' you can use whatever

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

J24
    J24
    Oct 2003
    Its Italian thread, tihis was last 53 frame Torelli had in warehouse June 06 and just happened to be a diamond
    extra.
    Raw frame that was shipped to nearest Torelli dealer for paint and build. Torelli said it was built by Mondonica so it might have been an 05 frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    102 is for newer record & chorus, 111 for older stuff and newer athena and lower, 115 for triples typically. length depends on the crank, altho if you don't care about proper chainline or whether your front der will have enough 'throw' you can use whatever
    Yep. Except a friend of mine scored an NOS Record triple from GB for an outrageously good price (the chainrings were worth what he paid for it.) He had originally purchased a Centaur square taper compact and the 111 BB to go with it. When he decided to go triple (he's even older than me) I told him the 111 was the right BB. I built the bike for him and it works perfectly.

By the way, the way to determine whether you have a BSC or an Italian BB shell on a given frame is to "scope" the threads. BSC is left-hand thread on the drive side, Italian is right. Stick a light in there. If the threads "ascend" to the left, it's BSC. To the right, Italian.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.