Squeaky creaky saddle

Aug 2005

Squeaky creaky saddle

I have a fizik arione saddle mounted on top of a thomson seatpost, no setback. In order to get the proper position on the bike, my saddle is pretty far back.

It is making an annoying creaking sound that lube & grease does not seem to fix.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I in need of a setback seatpost as I may be putting undue strain on the saddle in its "rear-ward" position (no pun intended...)?

Say "nuke-u-lar"
    You sure it's the saddle? You checked everything else? I don't like my butt leveraged out very far, so would look into a layback if you really like that saddle.
    Suum quique.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

where did you lube??

Have you applied a few drops of lube to the ends of the saddles rails, where they are inserted into the plastic shell and tilted the bike to insure that the lube runs into the joint? If not, try that first.

May 2004
    Also - this suggestion sucks - try disassembling everything. I had to do this with my Thomson post once or twice with various saddles. Take everything apart, and clean it thoroughly - not a speck of any road grit or what have you left on any part, including the little barrels, and the hollows that they sit in, or even the bolt-head washers. Then - still on your workbench, not on the bike - reassemble it with a thin coating of thick synthetic grease (Pedro's, Prep-M, etc) on everything. Make sure all the intersections of all the parts are greased, inlcuding the saddle rails, and the barrel-nut-thingies, and the lower cradle/post junction...though not excessively; you don't need to be able to even see the grease. Put it back on the bike (grease the clean seatpost before putting it in your CLEAN seat tube) and adjust as necessary. The important thing is to not allow any little grains of road grit to get into any of the junctions; Thomson's tolerances are too tight for that kind of crap, and it always results in noise.

If none of that works, then your problem is the rail-saddle intersection. Good luck with that.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Aug 2005

did that and it seems to have worked

Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Have you applied a few drops of lube to the ends of the saddles rails, where they are inserted into the plastic shell and tilted the bike to insure that the lube runs into the joint? If not, try that first.
    put lube in the end of the rails where they're inserted and had the bike upside down on its saddle for @ least 1/2 hour or so. That seems to have solved the problem for now. thanx!