squealing rear aksium hub
    RoadBikeReview Member

squealing rear aksium hub

I'm riding Aksiums, and occasionally have a squealing hub when traveling above say 35mph. I first thought it was front hub, but just recently realized it stopped if i pedaled, so deduced it was the rear hub. tonight while riding i noticed when it's squealing the chain is going slack across the top. i assumed it was a bearing, now wondering if it might be the freehub body? something else? anyone have any insight into what i should be looking for? i'm handy, just not sure what to look for. Thanks!!
    Cook

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Sounds like a dry freehub body. Mavic freehubs ride on a bushing that squeals when they get dry (or dirty). Take it off and clean and lube and it should be fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Nylon bushing

Quote Originally Posted by mrcookie
    I'm riding Aksiums, and occasionally have a squealing hub when traveling above say 35mph. I first thought it was front hub, but just recently realized it stopped if i pedaled, so deduced it was the rear hub. tonight while riding i noticed when it's squealing the chain is going slack across the top. i assumed it was a bearing, now wondering if it might be the freehub body? something else? anyone have any insight into what i should be looking for? i'm handy, just not sure what to look for. Thanks!!
    As stickboy71 said, it's clean and lube time. MAVIC, in their infinite wisdom, uses a nylon bushing rather than bearings on the inboard side of their freehub body. When it dries out and/or gets contaminated, the dreaded "MAVIC squeal" is the result. Simple fix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys! i'll get after it tomorrow.
    Cook

RoadBikeReview Member
    took it apart, used mineral oil in freehub body (read somewhere that that's what Mavic calls for) and put back together. i'll take it for a ride in the morning and see if there's any change. Thanks again for the info Stick and Kerry!

I was a bit surprised how easy it was. 5 minute job.
    Cook

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Mineral oil

Quote Originally Posted by mrcookie
    took it apart, used mineral oil in freehub body (read somewhere that that's what Mavic calls for) and put back together.
    For future reference, the "mineral oil" specification is a poor translationf from the French. In this case, the "mineral" means oil from the ground (as opposed to from animals or vegetables). IOW, the MAVIC recommendation for "mineral oil" means petroleum oil, AKA "oil." A mix of light grease and oil also works well and lasts longer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    For future reference, the "mineral oil" specification is a poor translationf from the French. In this case, the "mineral" means oil from the ground (as opposed to from animals or vegetables). IOW, the MAVIC recommendation for "mineral oil" means petroleum oil, AKA "oil." A mix of light grease and oil also works well and lasts longer.

Thanks for that. i cannot believe how quiet it is now!
    Cook