Squeeky downshift on cassette
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: MaxKatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    456

    Squeeky downshift on cassette

    Guys... I have zero mechanical ability. Before I visit my shop...

    My Fat Bike was perfect when I parked it in the garage for the winter.

    Dusted it off, pumped tires, took a short ride up/down street, tested brakes, ran it through all the gears, etc.

    Everything seems fine except when I down shift on the rear cassette. That one action seems to cause a squeak in the cable as I shift. No squeak shifting up in the rear, no squeak shifting up or down on the front.

    Can anyone guesstimate and tell me if this is something I can address myself? I do have lubricants if this is something I can remedy with that.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    405
    Something needs lube. follow the sound and apply lube.

  3. #3
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14,277
    Lube your chain.
    Lube the BB cable guide.

    If neither of those fix it, check your derailleur pulleys.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  4. #4
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,190
    This really screams bottom bracket cable guide.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    This really screams bottom bracket cable guide.
    That's my guess too. But why in the world did you park the fat bike for winter? Isn't that what they're for?

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: MaxKatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    That's my guess too. But why in the world did you park the fat bike for winter? Isn't that what they're for?

    Indeed, indeed. Fair point. I moved into a new house in late November, so it's been all packing, unpacking, and settling in thru the Fall and Winter seasons. Finally scheduling in some fun. Missed skiing, ice skating, and snow shoeing as well. Such is life.

    I will check that bottom bracket cable guide. Odd that it only squeaks in one direction though?

    Will report back with findings.

  7. #7
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,190
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post
    Indeed, indeed. Fair point. I moved into a new house in late November, so it's been all packing, unpacking, and settling in thru the Fall and Winter seasons. Finally scheduling in some fun. Missed skiing, ice skating, and snow shoeing as well. Such is life.

    I will check that bottom bracket cable guide. Odd that it only squeaks in one direction though?

    Will report back with findings.
    Not at all...it squeaks when you put tension on the cable to downshift, it doesn't when the cable goes slack to upshift.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post
    I moved into a new house in late November
    Say no more. I hope to never do it again.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: MaxKatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    456
    To follow-up on this... forgot to do anything about it before the next ride.

    Ducked into a shop on my route and had the guy look at it. He noted the same thing I did, but highlighted the squeak seemed to be emanating from the center of the cable where it goes from the handle bars down. We tested. I listened and agreed that seemed to be where it was coming from.

    He said there was nothing he could do on the fly, and that I should have someone pull the whole cable and lube it.

    To be continued.

  10. #10
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,190
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post
    To follow-up on this... forgot to do anything about it before the next ride.

    Ducked into a shop on my route and had the guy look at it. He noted the same thing I did, but highlighted the squeak seemed to be emanating from the center of the cable where it goes from the handle bars down. We tested. I listened and agreed that seemed to be where it was coming from.

    He said there was nothing he could do on the fly, and that I should have someone pull the whole cable and lube it.

    To be continued.
    Replace the cable AND housing.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Similar Threads

  1. Farewell Squeeky Fromme
    By snapdragen in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 04:42 AM
  2. Help! Squeeky brakes
    By black cross in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 08:55 AM
  3. Squeeky Bike Trainer
    By roadie92 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 06:25 AM
  4. Squeeky head
    By CBar in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 08:13 AM
  5. Squeeky '04 Dura-ace BB and Crank
    By chrisbaby in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 01:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.