Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,736

    Sram 10 speed cassette PG 1070

    I just ordered one of these because I couldn't find one I wanted from Shimano. It looks like shimano discontinued a lot of 10 speed cassettes.

    A couple questions:

    -I was reading Sram 10 speed cassettes don't use a spacer like shimano ones do. Is that true? I have 10 speed hubs. I'm not referring to any spacer to deal with 11 hubs but the one that comes with shimano 10 speed cassettes. Is there no such thing with Sram cassettes?.

    -Right now I switch between 3 rear wheels all with shimano cassettes and am able to do so without touching any limit screws. If Sram doesn't use a spacer, is it probable that I'll still be able to do that or does the lack of spacer change the placement such that I might have to mess with limit screws if switching between shimano (with spacer) and Sram (without) cassettes?

    Thanks for any info.

  2. #2
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,999
    You'll be able to tell when you put it on....P.S. Not all Shimano 10 speed cassettes need the 1mm spacer. "Junior" cassettes that start with a 13 don't, and it's possible that ones that end in a 28 don't either. (I can't remember)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  3. #3
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,456
    10 speed SRAM cassettes on 10 speed hubs do NOT need a spacer. You may need to adjust, maybe not. Like Grumpy posted...you'll know once you have the cassette installed. Just because they don't use a spacer doesn't mean they sit further to the left, it just means they don't use a spacer.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    314
    I would think more likely to need to turn the barrel adjuster a 1/4 turn either way rather than have to fool with the limit screws. But maybe not.

    scott s.
    .

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    169
    I've run both Shimano & Sram 10 spd cassettes on my wheels & have interchanged them. Depending on your frame, you may or may not need to make any adjustments. But it won't be the limit screws that you need to adjust. All I needed to do was make a barrel adjustment as Scott mentioned & all is good.

  6. #6
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,456
    If you have to adjust cable tension you'll have to adjust limit screws. Think about it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
    I would think more likely to need to turn the barrel adjuster a 1/4 turn either way rather than have to fool with the limit screws. But maybe not.

    scott s.
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    I've run both Shimano & Sram 10 spd cassettes on my wheels & have interchanged them. Depending on your frame, you may or may not need to make any adjustments. But it won't be the limit screws that you need to adjust. All I needed to do was make a barrel adjustment as Scott mentioned & all is good.
    If the cassettes sit in the exact same spot, you won't have to adjust anything

    If the cassettes don't sit in the exact same spot, you'll need to adjust the limit screws

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    If you have to adjust cable tension you'll have to adjust limit screws. Think about it.
    Looks like I should have kept reading before responding

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,736
    Thanks guys. I figured they were just built to sit where shimano ones do with a spacer (as opposed to shifting left a little) but wasn't sure so wanted to ask. So essentially the shimano spacer is built into the Sram cassette not a separate piece.

    I should be all set. I have had a situation where I needed to adjust limit screws but that was due to different hubs. No new hub in the mix here.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,736
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    If you have to adjust cable tension you'll have to adjust limit screws. Think about it.
    I get why you'd say that but I do now need to adjust tension only (about a quarter turn) back and forth between wheels to get perfect shifting. My guess is difference tension works better for different size cogs. Although other than the biggest 3 they are pretty much the same so who knows. Maybe it has to do with 105 vs Ultegra and them behaving slightly different. Whatever the reason I do need to make a slight turn to dial in shifting and that's all I need to do.

  11. #11
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,129
    10sp Shimano cassettes come with a spacer.
    10sp Sram cassettes don't come with a spacer.

    So just use the rule "use what comes in the box" when mounting them.

    I've switched out my wheels with Sram and Shimano frequently. Never needed to adjust anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    Depending on your frame, you may or may not need to make any adjustments.
    No, nothing changes on your frame that would require adjustment. It depends on the wheels. Different wheels could have different freehub locations, which requires the adjustment.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    169
    When I said frame, I meant drop out. But whether that makes any difference or not I can't be certain. I was switching wheels between different frames & I've used both Ultegra, 105 & 1057 force cassettes with 3 sets wheels.

    The one frame didn't require any adjustments when switching between Shimano & Sram while the other required just a quarter turn. Either way thats what I needed to do in order for it to work.

  13. #13
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,129
    Quote Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    When I said frame, I meant drop out. But whether that makes any difference or not I can't be certain. I was switching wheels between different frames
    Well yes, that's different from what the OP was talking about, swapping wheels in his frame.
    If you're using different frames, they could have different RD locations / hanger alignment differences.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  14. #14
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,456
    Funny story sorta related to this thread:

    Yesterday one of the young mechanics at the shop was tuning up a bike. Full tune so everything went in the tank to get cleaned. He puts it all back together and cables it up. Won't shift right. No matter what he does, it's off. At this point he thinks he knows why...the cassette is loose on the hub...so he installs a Shimano 1.0mm spacer. No good, still won't shift. He then shows that he's learned a little by counting the cogs and declaring "He's got a 10 speed cassette on his wheel, of course it won't work, the shifters and derailleurs are 11!" I'm working on a parts order on the computer right next to him so I'm listening in one ear. He's now plotting his next step, which he thinks should be a call to the customer. It's highly unlikely in my opinion that the bike came in w/ a 10 speed cassette and an otherwise completely 11 drivetrain. I look at the rear wheel and on the lockring is clearly printed '5800'. I tell the kid "You lost a cog." Complete denial..."No way, I just cleaned them!" I tell him to go look in the parts cleaner...where he finds the 'lost' cog. He's still not sure this is the solution to his problem because he's still missing a spacer.

    Which he finds on the floor next to the parts cleaner.

    Moral of the story: Take your time, don't lose ****, and don't lose your head over little stuff. Also...know what uses spacers and what doesn't. I can't believe what comes in to the shop almost daily. Random spacers installed because people don't have the ability to pay even the smallest amount of attention to what they're doing.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Matador-IV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    289
    I switch around from Sram to Shimano cassettes using the appropriate spacing. So far I've not had to adjust the limit screws, only the barrel adj. Perhaps they're less sensitive to positioning.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,736
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Funny story sorta related to this thread:

    Yesterday one of the young mechanics at the shop was tuning up a bike. Full tune so everything went in the tank to get cleaned. He puts it all back together and cables it up. Won't shift right. No matter what he does, it's off. At this point he thinks he knows why...the cassette is loose on the hub...so he installs a Shimano 1.0mm spacer. No good, still won't shift. He then shows that he's learned a little by counting the cogs and declaring "He's got a 10 speed cassette on his wheel, of course it won't work, the shifters and derailleurs are 11!" I'm working on a parts order on the computer right next to him so I'm listening in one ear. He's now plotting his next step, which he thinks should be a call to the customer. It's highly unlikely in my opinion that the bike came in w/ a 10 speed cassette and an otherwise completely 11 drivetrain. I look at the rear wheel and on the lockring is clearly printed '5800'. I tell the kid "You lost a cog." Complete denial..."No way, I just cleaned them!" I tell him to go look in the parts cleaner...where he finds the 'lost' cog. He's still not sure this is the solution to his problem because he's still missing a spacer.

    Which he finds on the floor next to the parts cleaner.

    Moral of the story: Take your time, don't lose ****, and don't lose your head over little stuff. Also...know what uses spacers and what doesn't. I can't believe what comes in to the shop almost daily. Random spacers installed because people don't have the ability to pay even the smallest amount of attention to what they're doing.
    That's a good one.

    yeah, I can just imagine the stuff you must see. Confidence and lack of knowledge/ability is a bad combination and it's rampant now-a-days.

    I'm kind of the opposite. I don't dare do anything myself until I'm 110% sure what I'm doing and even then it takes me 5 times longer than average to do things because I'm so careful.

    Some guys would think nothing of grabbing a handful of spokes, a rim and hub and slapping together a set of wheels and riding them despite not knowing a darn thing about it.

  17. #17
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Matador-IV View Post
    I switch around from Sram to Shimano cassettes using the appropriate spacing. So far I've not had to adjust the limit screws, only the barrel adj. Perhaps they're less sensitive to positioning.
    If you have to adjust cable tension because the cogs are in slightly different positions (the key words here...different positions...you should most likely be adjusting the limits for the exact same reason. If you're less than a turn they're probably ok. If you're using SRAM shifters/derailleurs they're slightly less sensitive than Shimano. The cassettes have exactly the same spacing and I'm pretty sure the same cog thickness because they're supposed to be interchangeable.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    812
    Jay, thanks for the heads-up regarding the dearth of Shimano 10sp cassettes. I may have to scrounge for a 2nd backup.

    Funny, I use 105, 11-25 10sp cassettes and I do not recall a spacer other than the spacer that came with the 11sp hubs. I could be wrong though and will take a look at my backup cassette on the shelf.

    I do seem to recall vendors blowing out 10sp Ultegra cassettes at very low prices not too long ago. Guess now we see the result of that.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    812
    A bit late, but I looked at my backup 11-25 Shimano 10sp cassette and indeed there is a thin spacer included.

Similar Threads

  1. SRAM cassettes PG-1070 vs OG-1070
    By royta in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 06:31 AM
  2. PG-1070 vs. OG-1070 10-spd Cassettes?
    By wrshultz in forum SRAM
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 06:59 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2008, 05:43 PM
  4. SRAM 1070 vs Ultegra Cassette?
    By CabDoctor in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-19-2007, 08:42 AM
  5. SRAM OG-1070 Cassette Compatibility
    By mylesofsmyles in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.