SRAM 11-speed Road Groups TBA @Sea Otter Classic?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A Story of Love

SRAM 11-speed Road Groups TBA @Sea Otter Classic?

Rumor has it that SRAM will unveil its 11-speed road offerings (well, RED and Force at least, plus maybe some hydraulic road brakes & discs) @The Sea Otter Classic, which starts up April 18th... i.e. next week.
    Think it'll happen? Think it won't?

It would be about time... Campy's had 11-spd for 4 years now, and Shimano for what, 6-8 months or so?

And of course, there is already some interesting-but-unsubstantiated info on the 'net 'bout this:

SRAM to launch 11-speed ‘Red 22′ group, hydraulic brakes

SRAM Red 22 & Hydraulic Road Brake Details Surfacing - Bike Rumor

Sram 22, groupset | jonas wwBlog

SRAM To Go 11-speed? - BikeRadar
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

A Story of Love
    ps– BikeRadar is saying the unveil will be on the 15th, i.e. even before the Sea Otter Classic. But who knows.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    any word on when they may come out with an electric group? its so poular I think they are going to have to do it soon.
    Dogma, synapse disc, caad 10, de rosa neo primato, felt CX, epic, fat bike

A Story of Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn12 View Post
    any word on when they may come out with an electric group? its so poular I think they are going to have to do it soon.
    Haven't heard anything.

I guess TSOC would be a good place to announce it as well, if not, then Eurobike or Interbike in August/September.

Of course, it's not even for sure that they're going to announce 11-speed road at TSOC, for that matter. Though you'd like to see them do so, or at least announce it before 11-speed Ultegra comes down the pike.

A Story of Love
    Another tidbit... again, file it under 'who knows if its true'.

red22 caliper.JPG

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why do we need this? What's so good about hydraulic brakes?

A Story of Love
    Quote Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post
    Why do we need this? What's so good about hydraulic brakes?
    Beats me. I said the same thing when it became obvious that the whole industry was going to start pushing road disc brakes on us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Beats me. I said the same thing when it became obvious that the whole industry was going to start pushing road disc brakes on us.

Brake pull starts to matter on long decents. I do my share around here. To start, the effort level of hydro disk is much less to engage. I have done the same mtn around here on my road bike with calipers, then later on a CX with disks (cable disks even). I much, much, much like decending with the disks.

Now hydro disks surely are not perfect and have their flaws too. You do have to match pad and rotor to your riding. Much in the same way you would your tires. 140mm rotors with lots of cut outs on a 3200 ft decent will not cut it at all.

So, I await more bikes with them. Sea Otter is close by and I may go over to test and checkout hardware.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

A Story of Love
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Brake pull starts to matter on long decents. I do my share around here. To start, the effort level of hydro disk is much less to engage. I have done the same mtn around here on my road bike with calipers, then later on a CX with disks (cable disks even). I much, much, much like decending with the disks.

Now hydro disks surely are not perfect and have their flaws too. You do have to match pad and rotor to your riding. Much in the same way you would your tires. 140mm rotors with lots of cut outs on a 3200 ft decent will not cut it at all.

So, I await more bikes with them. Sea Otter is close by and I may go over to test and checkout hardware.
    Yah, and discs are nicer in the wet too, and are generally a better way to go if you're running carbon rims.

But, as I'm sure you're also aware, discs add weight, cost, and complexity, and worsen aerodynamics. Then there's heat dissipation... small light rotors can't dissipate anything like the amount of heat a rim can, and big, thick, chunky rotors are going to weigh enough that roadies probably won't like it.

But you know all that already. Please do report back and tell us what you see at TSOC, if you go.

A Story of Love
    Thought: If the unveil really is on Monday (April 15th), i.e. Get Yer Taxes In Day™, is the idea that we're supposed to be thinking, "Oooh... I could buy that fancy new stuff with my tax refund!!" ??

RoadBikeReview Member
    We don't need any of this (or many of the other recent "innovations"). It's just new things to sell to consumers who already have the old things. Marketers do their best to convince you the new stuff is the cat's meow and the old stuff, which was the cat's meow just 6 months ago, no longer cuts it.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

A Story of Love
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    We don't need any of this (or many of the other recent "innovations"). It's just new things to sell to consumers who already have the old things. Marketers do their best to convince you the new stuff is the cat's meow and the old stuff, which was the cat's meow just 6 months ago, no longer cuts it.
    Completely agree. Many of the things in cycling that get trumpeted as 'innovations' or 'must-haves' by the marketing guys... aren't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Completely agree. Many of the things in cycling that get trumpeted as 'innovations' or 'must-haves' by the marketing guys... aren't.
    I both agree and disagree. While I agree that the differences between generations of equipment can often times be minimal, I disagree that all bicycle innovation is stuff we don't need. Components are all iterative and the next generation will be built upon the current generations work. Without minor steps, things would stagnate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Innovation can be good, and advancement is good. Certainly nowadays most is a mixed bag, and some are net negatives. But it's all largely a matter of opinion of how you weigh and sum up the pros and cons. And it's all really a matter of want rather than need, unless the context is vanity or competitiveness (social or cycling).

A Story of Love
    Quote Originally Posted by davegregoire View Post
    I both agree and disagree. While I agree that the differences between generations of equipment can often times be minimal, I disagree that all bicycle innovation is stuff we don't need. Components are all iterative and the next generation will be built upon the current generations work. Without minor steps, things would stagnate.
    It's not that it's 'ALL' stuff we don't need, rather, it's that a *lot* of it is.

But the industry (and its marketing) doesn't really care about how much we really need something, it's more about "Can we CREATE A NEED?".

If the answer is "yes", then they push it, push it. (push it real good? )

This would be kind of okay if newest trend/fad/whatever was always no worse than neutral in its impact on your cycling (i.e. was useless either way), but sometimes they can't even manage that.

Back in the early '90s, there was this HUGE trend towards super-narrow tires, like 18C to 20C. They were even spec'd commonly on mid-level and entry-level road bikes for a time.

EVERYBODY was told that the ultra-narrow tires were 'lighter and faster' than the 23 to 25C tires that had been previously spec'd, and EVERYBODY went 'yeeeha!' and went out and rode 'em and got SO. MANY. FLATS.

I laugh, but it was actually more sad than funny. That trend lasted a couple of years before it became so obvious that it sucked that everyone just walked away from it, and bikes went back to being spec'd with the size of tires they'd used before. Even though that wasn't 'new' or 'fun'.

So, I'm not so impressed with whatever the 'big, new thing' is. It may be an improvement, or it may be all about the $$$. It has to prove itself to me before I'll adopt it.

That's just good common sense, though there are ppl out there who'll call you a Luddite if you don't automatically love anything new simply on the basis of it being new.

A Story of Love
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Esthetically, those hydraulic brifters are going to take some getting used to.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Esthetically, those hydraulic brifters are going to take some getting used to.
    Yeah. In that sense, it might be better to let Shimano do this. Combined with DI2, you could probably get the masters in the lever body. So you can have two "advances" in the space of one.

Though I'm not on board with either yet. Hydro Discs largely solve a problem I don't have for a road bike, and attract some drawbacks I'm not willing to pursue at the current state of things. I'm slightly more intrigued by the hydro rims. Should offer advances in power and modulation, keeps a nice big disc diameter, no worries of hydro fade or need to "overbuild" wheels. Doesn't completely solve the 'wet carbon' issue that most point to as the 'need' point here, but I'm not convinced they're done advancing brake track technology.

Will be interesting to see what advancements come after a few years of real-world experience.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Not a rocket surgeon.
    New is cool.

Just think, people used to win races on bikes with less than 10 gears and single pivot brakes.

Oh the horror.

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    Some of these "advances" are ridiculous.

A Story of Love
    Translated (roughly) from a Dutch website:

SRAM Introduces 11-speed

April 15, 2013 | By Rodrick | Posted in Bike News , News , Featured

Following Campagnolo and Shimano will also offer 11 speed SRAM groups. In California, the first groups with 22 gears proposed. These are the Red and the Force Group.

SRAM brings alongside two new 11-speed component groups also two new braking systems. Hydraulic braking systems that is: rim brakes and disc brakes. Two new braking systems: the HRR and HRD. Respectively the 'Hydraulic Rim Road "and" Road Hydraulic Disc'.

The heart is formed by the Red Hydro 22 R Double Tap shifters. At first sight the top of the shifter SRAM or a "piece" extra made. That is true also because in that part of the brake cylinder houses. There is a cable from there to the top of the shifter along the steering wheel to the brakes. Topping up and venting occurs at the shifter. Between the brake 'lever' and the brake is a closed system. Compare it with Magura brake. The switching is done in exactly the same way as ordinary Double Tap shifters: So with a handle. A 'click' shut, keep on 'clicks' means upshift.

There is now a 'Road Hydraulic Rim Brake caliper' and 'Road Hydraulic Disc brake caliper. In good Dutch: a rim brake and disc brake. SRAM presented the new parts in California. Advantage was beside the pleasant weather the presence of fun climbing followed by some spicy descents. Ideal for both the switch and the brake to try. SRAM had bikes from Specialized and Cannondale prepared, both brands can be seen in the ProTour respectively Omega Pharma and Cannondale.

It will probably take until June before the Red '22 'is available and Force '22' is only at the end of the summer. Read more about the new groups of SRAM in Cycle 5, on the first Friday of May appears. Therefore a row-wide impression.

SRAM introduceert 11-speed » Fiets.nl - Race en MTB website

A Story of Love

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm holding out for hydraulic shifting and electronic braking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    There'll be quite a few people who are annoyed that they purchased 'new' RED that's now quite old.
    Regardless, even hydro rims brakes are going to make braking easier, can't wait for Shimano's attempt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wattiez View Post
    There'll be quite a few people who are annoyed that they purchased 'new' RED that's now quite old.
    Regardless, even hydro rims brakes are going to make braking easier, can't wait for Shimano's attempt
    Well I bought the "new RED" this winter and I couldn't care less about the 11th speed... I use a 11-23 cassette and I wouldn't even know what to do with a 25...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast