RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014

Question SRAM 1x Cassette Compatibility question

I have a CX bike with SRAM Force 1 setup and currently have a PG1170 11-36 cassette and a 40 or 42 front chainring. I love it for most part, until I tried racing in the Blue Mountain Centurion CX Tour Grit this year. The initial climb killed me as it extremely steep for my choice of gearing.

So I want to switch from a 11-36 to a 11-42 range. But there aren't many options. The only option I see is the Apex PG1130 11-42 cassette.

So I have a few questions:

1. Apex PG1130 cassette is almost double the weight of PG1170. Is there another Force PG1170 comparable option for me? Maybe a different brand?

2. Will I need to increase my chain length to switch from 11-36 to 11-42? I have 2 wheelsets, one for commuting and one for CX rides/races, both with 11-36 right now. If I keep the 11-36 on the commuting wheel and 11-42 on CX wheel, do I need to change the chain length every time?

3. I noticed that there are a lot of options in the HG series. Are HG cassettes compatible with PG? Can they be made compatible with adapters/hacks? Why are HG so much more expensive?

4. HG series also have smaller cog of 10T. I'm assuming that'll be incompatible with my current hub, right? My 2 wheelsets are American Classic Hurricane for CX riding, and 3T Discuss Pro for commuting and winter riding. If any of my wheels can take a 10T, and HG-series is compatible with my DT, then I'll surely go that way.

Thanks in advance!
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my bicycles for what I told her they cost."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can't you swap out the chainring to something smalller like a 38T? Lower gearing with no weight penalty. 38X11T will get you 30MPH at a cadence near 100 and it will climb nearly anything. Direct mount chainring like this https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...unt-chainrings