SRAM Apex 1X11

Thread: SRAM Apex 1X11

What the what???

SRAM Apex 1X11

No questions or problems this time around, just a little note of praise for the Apex 1X11 set-up. I tried it a few years back when I built up the New Albion Homebrew frameset. At that point I was using a standard road bike set up with drop bars and the integrated lever. It was the smoothest, quietest and most hassle-free setup I've ever had on a bike (though admittedly I don't tend to go for the high-dollar components). In fact I liked it so much that I put the same set-up on the Lynskey Peloton.

Recently, I decided to try out some trekking bars on the Homebrew. Turns out, SRAM also has a trigger shifter for the Apex 11 speed. It was a very reasonable $25 bucks. Installation was straight-forward and I dig the trigger action. It is crisp and clean. I just got back from a 36 mile shake-out ride and it works great.

If you're considering going to a 1X setup for your road bike, I highly recommend the SRAM Apex group. It's a solid set-up for not a ton of money.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Must not ride in hills?
    BANNED

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Must not ride in hills?
    Not if I can help it. On the Homebrew its a 42 up front and the 11-42 in back. On the Peloton it's a 44 up front and a 11-36 in back.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 4 Days Ago at 04:37 PM.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Must not ride in hills?
    considering that OP's bike has a 42t front ring with a 42t back cog, that's lower gearing than most road bikes would have. He's plenty good for the hills, but that 1x setup sucks on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Well he didn't post his gears, only 1x11. If you gear it to go up hills you'll be coasting a lot. If you gear it for the flats, you wish you hadn't on the hills.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Must not ride in hills?
    I was actually thinking he must only ride hills, real steep ones, and only up.

42x42 would be great riding up 20% all day. But I think the large gaps would drive me crazy on flatter stuff and 42x11 isn't big enough going down.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I was actually thinking he must only ride hills, real steep ones, and only up.

42x42 would be great riding up 20% all day. But I think the large gaps would drive me crazy on flatter stuff and 42x11 isn't big enough going down.
    No steep hills, but some hellacious head winds on occasion.

I think gaps are something you might notice initially, but after a while of riding the same rides you adjust. At this point, I don't notice it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    No steep hills, but some hellacious head winds on occasion.

I think gaps are something you might notice initially, but after a while of riding the same rides you adjust. At this point, I don't notice it.
    That's cool. If it works for you it works.

Gaps might be a duel edge sword now that I think of it. I'd definitely hate those gaps on certain rides. But on other rides like rolling small hills I find myself always shifting 2-3 cogs never just one anyway so I might actually like the big gaps on those rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    That's cool. If it works for you it works.

Gaps might be a duel edge sword now that I think of it. I'd definitely hate those gaps on certain rides. But on other rides like rolling small hills I find myself always shifting 2-3 cogs never just one anyway so I might actually like the big gaps on those rides.
    If two people fight a duel, is that a dual duel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    It's a dead dual death! 3D to the max!
    BANNED