Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason124 View Post
    With regards to durability, I know the first few generations of Shimano shifter cables were known to break in the shifter and it is recommended to change cables at 1500 miles if you're a frequent shifter. Not sure if this is resolved in the R generation Shimano drivetrains.
    Actually, it's the later Shimano generations (5700/6700/7900 and beyond) that have this problem. When Shimano went to under the handlebar concealed cable routing, that's when this issue started. Apparently, the shifter wraps the cable in a tighter turn inside the shifter resulting in faster wear on the cable. I find I must change my right shifter cable every 2000 miles to be safe.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Actually, it's the later Shimano generations (5700/6700/7900 and beyond) that have this problem. When Shimano went to under the handlebar concealed cable routing, that's when this issue started. Apparently, the shifter wraps the cable in a tighter turn inside the shifter resulting in faster wear on the cable. I find I must change my right shifter cable every 2000 miles to be safe.
    Right. Sorry, meant first gen under bar tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Neither is "better". But they work different. Personally, I've always preferred Shimano.

Food for thought: If you have multiple bikes and switch often, going back and forth from Shimano-SRAM can cause shifting confusion.
    Nah, not really. Not in any meaningful way anyway. I have Sram, Shimano, down tube and bar end and don't find any problem switching among the four bikes.

For what it's worth, the Sram is my favorite. Just like the double tap better. But it's totally personal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For me, the first decision is SRAM or Shimano THEN pick the right level.

Some people (cxwrench) love SRAM road stuff. I absolutely hate it. I have bikes with Ultegra, Dura-Ace... and a bike with Force. I think the way SRAM shifts up the cassette (larger cogs) is just terrible - imprecise, not smooth... While I think Shimano's road stuff is worthy of a Nobel prize in engineering (exaggerating a little).

But the key words in ^that^ are "I think." Ride both. Shift a lot. Decide. Then you'll agree with me... I mean, know which you like ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12