SRAM chain running nosiy on XT groupset ...
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010

SRAM chain running nosiy on XT groupset ...

Broke my XT chain a while back, asked LBS to change it, and noticed he put on an SRAM 951, which is fine, as it has the powerlink, and seems compatible ...

Seems to me that this chain is making more noise (a 'creak' really) than the XT chain was, and what is particularly strange is that this sound is more exaggerated in cogs 5 and 6 on cassette, but not so bad on the others ...

Just wondering, could this be down to the powerlink?

cheers ... Wally

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    New chain and used cassette? Just wait a bit until chain elongates a bit to fit the cassette a bit better

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    ... well, the cassette only has about 2-300Km up on it, as the bike is pretty new ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Sram chains are noisy. It is a fact of life.

Anything on 2 wheels
    I've always used SRAM chains on my MTBs, which are Shimano and never really noticed the noise, maybe I got used to it. I'll probably go back to Shimano for a try when I finish going through the stack I already have.

Rub it............
    I ran the Sram chains for several years, but after reading about how the XTR chain ran smoother and shifted better, I thought I'd give it a try when I needed to replace the chain. After 8 months of use of the XTR chain, I can't tell any difference.

Also, the type of chain lube you use can affect the noise output from the drivetrain.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Climbin' Clyde
    I ran SRAM chains with my Shimano getups for years, before recently swapping to [mostly] KMC. I don't think there should be a noticeable difference in noise either. Like Frdfandc said - maybe chain lube?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    All I can say is I have been a shimano guy for ages. Recently put a sram chain on the bike. All was good for a while. Then shifting and noise issues started to happen. I cleaned the **** out of everything but no good. Put on a new XT chain today and poof bike works like it should again. Go figure. Sorry Sram Shimano has just worked for me.

I like what they are doing in their product lines but if it's not broke don't fix.