SRAM Corp. Recalls Bicycle Brake Caliper Sets Due to Crash Hazard

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    April 10, 2007
    Release #07-153
    Firm’s Recall Hotline: (800) 346-2928
    CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

SRAM Corp. Recalls Bicycle Brake Caliper Sets Due to Crash Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. Name of product: SRAM Force Road Brake Caliper Sets
    Units: About 5,400 units
    Importer: SRAM Corp., of Chicago, Ill.
    Hazard: The brake caliper sets could break and detach from the bicycle’s fork or frame. This could cause the rider to lose control and crash.
    Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
    Description: The recall involves the SRAM Force Road Brake Calipers sets sold as aftermarket components. The brake caliper sets have “SRAM Force” and some have a date or production code embossed on the unit.
    CodeExampleIn RecallNot In Recall
    Date code
    (Day/Month/Year)
    01JUN06Dates between 01JUN06
    and 25DEC06
    Dates after 25DEC06
    No date code------------All sold between July 2006
    through March 2007
    ---------------
    Production Code35T61234567Codes beginning with
    35T6 through 51T6
    Codes beginning with
    52T6 and codes with “7”
    as the fourth digit
    The SRAM brake caliper sets may have also been installed on the following makes and models of bicycles: Specialized (S-Works Tarmac SL, S-Works Roubaix); Trek (Project One Madone models); Fuji (Fuji SL1); Scott USA (Addict R3); Bianchi (Bianchi 928 SL); Kuota (Kuota KOM, Kuota KREDO, Kuota KEBEL); Orbea (Orca, Aqua, Loboular, Opal, Arin, Aqua Dama, Dama Race and Diva); Kestrel (Evoke SL/Force, RT700/Force), Titus (Vuelo, Solera) and Sampson (Diablo).
    Sold at: Specialty bicycle retailers nationwide sold individual brake caliper sets from July 2006 through January 2007 for about $270 and bicycles which included these sets through March 2007 for between $3,000 and $7,300.
    Manufactured in: Taiwan
    Remedy: Consumers should stop using bicycles equipped with these brake caliper sets immediately and contact their bicycle retailer for a free replacement.
    Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact SRAM at (800) 346-2928 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s Web site at www.sram.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    So is this the same recall or a 3rd one for a seperate issue??

The Dropped 1
    Phew. Glad that so far no Rival components have been recalled. ::keeps fingers crossed:: I wonder why they're only having issues with the Force stuff?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Probably because super light doesn't always equal super bichen.

ignore this ---->
    Feb 2007
    I wonder why they're only having issues with the Force stuff?
    Because the issue is with the titanium pivot bolt. Rival uses a steel bolt.

I bought all of my Force components new with the exception of the f&r brakes which I bought used off of ebay because I got them for practically nothing. Shortly after they arrived the recall hit and SRAM exchanged them for brand new brakes, complete with pads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

recall

i suppose now's a good time to pick up a sweet brakeset on ebay?! Stopping, overrated anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    They are 3 different recalls for the same part...they keep expanding the recall.

The only other issue I have heard of is with the Rival RD. The pin in one of the pulleys seems to want to come loose...oh and FWTW you loose a wheel and damage your frame when this happens and that is even if you don't crash. There have been 4 or 5 different instances of that failure that I have heard of...SRAM is not YET recalling that part but I wouldn't be shocked if that came out at some point too.

Oh to be a beta tester for SRAM....I think I will stick with my Campy.