Sram force 1x - Biggest front and biggest rear
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Sram force 1x - Biggest front and biggest rear

Hello,

I m think about putting a more road type gearing on my gravel bike. I have a long arm sram force 1x rear derailleur. I'd like to put on a 50t front chainring.

For the life of me - I cant figure out what's the largest rear cassette ring I can use with this set up.

Thanks!

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    It's right there on the SRAM spec page for the Force 1 derailleurs. 42t is the biggest cog for the long cage not arm model.

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/rd-frc-1-a2
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    So I can use a 50t chainring with a 42t sprocket as long as I have the right size chain??

Yes. It doesn't matter what size the chainring is as long as you have the correct derailleur and cassette combination.

That said...having a really big chainring AND a big cassette will make it tough to back pedal at all and using the largest cogs will likely be fairly noisy.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gall View Post
    So I can use a 50t chainring with a 42t sprocket as long as I have the right size chain??
    Depending on your chainstay length, you also might have to add a bit on to your new chain. I've tried that before and came up just short. CXwrench is dead on about the noise. Not a deal breaker, but there is a lot of chainwrap going on. It didn't work for me, but I was trying something even sillier which didn't work and ended up 40x42.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    Depending on your chainstay length, you also might have to add a bit on to your new chain. I've tried that before and came up just short. CXwrench is dead on about the noise. Not a deal breaker, but there is a lot of chainwrap going on. It didn't work for me, but I was trying something even sillier which didn't work and ended up 40x42.
    What were you trying that was silly?

Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    No more than any other size chainring.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    You want more ‘road type’ gearing? I assume you mean taller gears. A more accurate description Of road gearing would be gears with smaller differences between gears, although you lowest and highest gears would be bigger compared to MTB and even gravel.

Is your smallest cog 11T or 10T? Either way I think you’d have a gear that you would never use with a 50T chainring. I think your holy grail lies somewhere with a new chainring and cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Is your smallest cog 11T or 10T? Either way I think you’d have a gear that you would never use with a 50T chainring.
    Yup. A 50/11 at 100 rpm (assuming 700c wheels) is 35 mph. For nearly every rider, this means going downhill. And at that speed you would be just as fast or faster in a tight tuck. Most bikes on the road these days are way over-geared for their rider's abilities. Learn to do a reasonable spin and make better use of the gears.