SRAM Force Chainrings- bent teeth, warped rings, chain suck
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

SRAM Force Chainrings- bent teeth, warped rings, chain suck

When I initially got my SRAM Force group I ran through a set of chainrings rather quickly. I had to replace them after several teeth bent, others got shark fin and eventually the chainrings warped. This resulted in chainsuck and poor shifting , which scratched up my paint on the new bike.

The bike shop gave me some new rings to put on and I have been running those just fine, but have still had to occassionally bust out the wrench to bend a tooth back straight.

It is now getting to the point that the teeth are bending more often and are snagging on the side plates of the chain when they engage.

What is my issue? Do I need to get a different brand of chainrings? My BB was pulled and reinstalled when they changed the rings for me the first time. Do I need to do this again? Could my frame be bent from when I first bought it? (Titanium frame) Could the spider be crooked?

Will Sram warranty the chainrings again? I almost don't want to go through my shop again though because of their attitude which in most cases is awesome but sometimes I'd like a different approach. Their attitude... Let say you are having a problem with a part and you take it in to my shop if it is even remotly fixable even if it is a total rig job they'll tell you how to do it and what parts to buy at the hardware store before they sell you a new part. Like I say usually awesome but I'm tired of taking a wrench to my chainrings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, but it's lighter than Ultegra and double tap is way so cool. Why are you bothered that it doesn't last? SRAM had to do something to grab the market's attention. What they did is under-engineer everything so it would be lighter than Campy and Shimano. Then they "tested" it on 130 racers and said it was "OK". You sound like the kind of guy that might be mildly interested in reliability. Two words you should consider: Campy and Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    two words that have me reaching for the wrench: new house

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    third season on Ultegra external bearing crankset, and zero issues with the chainrings or crankset (and I'm a big, strong rider).

Why not find some Ultegra chainrings to put on your Force crankset?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't hate SRAM but I agree with Android. You need to go with something that is proven. I don't know what kind of wattage you're putting out, but I'm a 203 lb, Clydesdale rider and once you get over 180 lbs, reliability becomes the most important thing. Two of my riding buddies are Clydesdales also. One has had nothing but constant problems with his SRAM crankset. Everything you mentioned, he's experienced. He's 235 lbs and he rides hard. My other buddy is 240 lbs and doesn't have the same issues. He doesn't ride as hard but cranks should be strong enough to hold you even if you were 300 lbs. From what I've noticed, I'd take Campy or Shimano anyday over SRAM- unless I was 150 lbs or less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't hate SRAM but I agree with Android. You need to go with something that is proven. I don't know what kind of wattage you're putting out, but I'm a 203 lb, Clydesdale rider and once you get over 180 lbs, reliability becomes the most important thing. Two of my riding buddies are Clydesdales also. One has had nothing but constant problems with his SRAM crankset. Everything you mentioned, he's experienced. He's 235 lbs and he rides hard. My other buddy is 240 lbs and doesn't have the same issues. He doesn't ride as hard but cranks should be strong enough to hold you even if you were 300 lbs. SRAM reminds me of a superlight wheelset- built for riders that don't punish their bikes too much. I'd take Campy or Shimano anyday over SRAM.

Anti-Hero
    As far as I know, that's not a common problem with SRAM chainrings. You should definitely contact them.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

ToF
    yup
    Quote Originally Posted by tjib13
    When I initially got my SRAM Force group I ran through a set of chainrings rather quickly. I had to replace them after several teeth bent, others got shark fin and eventually the chainrings warped. This resulted in chainsuck and poor shifting , which scratched up my paint on the new bike.

The bike shop gave me some new rings to put on and I have been running those just fine, but have still had to occassionally bust out the wrench to bend a tooth back straight.

It is now getting to the point that the teeth are bending more often and are snagging on the side plates of the chain when they engage.

What is my issue? Do I need to get a different brand of chainrings? My BB was pulled and reinstalled when they changed the rings for me the first time. Do I need to do this again? Could my frame be bent from when I first bought it? (Titanium frame) Could the spider be crooked?
    What in god's name are you doing? Death match cyclocross?? I am having a hard time envisioning what someone could possibly be doing to consistently bend chainring teeth.... I have, and I know a lot of others that have used all of the "big three" (DA, Record, Sram)--what you describe is totally abnormal. It sounds like a fundemental problem with installation or something.

Steaming piles of opinion
    I don't know anything about your experience, so don't take this as anything but a question:

Crosschain much?

Ever hear of easing off the pedaling pressure when shifting?

Most times I hear these symptoms are from folks that misuse their equipment, often are Clydes, and commonly using equipment inappropriate to their combination of weight and talent. I've heard it from Record, D-A, and Force/Red folks. Big guys can ride this stuff with care, and lightweights can get by with lesser technique.

That said, I'd believe that Force isn't the equal of D-A in this particular respect. But it's likely not just about the equipment.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Feb 2004
    Sounds like some folks need to spend more time working on their pedal stroke and shifting habits.

Ditch the SRAM rings and get Ultegra rings. Stiffer than D/A, better performing than SRAM. And do check your spider to make sure it isn't tweaked.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjib13
    Let say you are having a problem with a part and you take it in to my shop if it is even remotly fixable even if it is a total rig job they'll tell you how to do it and what parts to buy at the hardware store before they sell you a new part. Like I say usually awesome but I'm tired of taking a wrench to my chainrings.
    I am that mechanic. I see no point in trying to sell a customer something that isn't needed. Most people are appreciative of that. Others are offended. Can't please everyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    thnks.

little to no cross chaining (I'm sure it happens every once in a while when the lack of O2 causes tunnel vision) 170lbs.
    Certainly ease up when shifting or the teeth would be broken off.
    I'll try another brand of rings and try to check that the arms are true.

just for more info this is a compact with 11-23 in the rear. maybe its the jump from the 34 to the 50...

Banned forever.....or not
    The only time I've bent teeth, is when my bike flew off my roof rack and bounced on the driveway....Either you're doing something really wrong, or Force is total crap. Both my DA and Chorus rings show little wear after years of use.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    One of my coworkers had Force cranks on his bike and noticed that whenever he shifted into his highest gear it threw the chain - once he checked it out, he noticed a bunch of teeth were mangled. Not a clydesdale, but probably had put 2k miles on the rings. This is why on my new Force/Rival buildup I went with DA cranks and Ultegra chain/cassette I like Shimano for anything that wears down.

In the zone.

same experience here

I'm 195-200# and a sprinter. I bent teeth on my Rival chainring 1 WEEK after I installed the new crankset. And yes, I run the exact same gearing as you - 50/34 with 11-23 in the back. I tried to bend the tooth back into place, but the chain just falls off now. So I replaced the 50t chainring with one from my old cranset and no problems ever since. Thankfully, I bought the crankset from performance and will be returning it for a new one soon.

Anti-Hero
    I don't know any sprinters that use a compact unless they're just trying to get over the mountain...

not that it fixes your teeth or anything... I'm just sayin'
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Shifting aids.

Quote Originally Posted by lucer0
    once he checked it out, he noticed a bunch of teeth were mangled.
    Many "mangled teeth complaints" turn out to be the complainants noticing the factory-chopped teeth for the first time and drawing the wrong conclusion. Just saying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    You could be right, but it started throwing the chain in specific combinations (not an adjustment issue), so something went wrong somewhere on the ring.

In the zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    I don't know any sprinters that use a compact unless they're just trying to get over the mountain...

Well, now you do.

I have yet to come anywhere close to having a 50x11 be too low in a race. Many other guys race a 52 or 53x12, and thats lower gearing than what i have. But somehow, people judge you based on your chainring size.

And the 34x23 or 26 is a lifesaver for someone who can't climb worth a damn in a hilly area. So yes, i am just trying to get over that mountain also, and yes, i am a sprinter at the same time. The gearing I have works well on both counts.

Apr 2007

Bent spider

My chain always falls off when I am in my 50 and a high cog gear. It falls off on the outside of the 50 when I jump on the pedals to accelerate. I weight 176. After many people tryin to diagnose the prob it was discovered my crank spider is bent. This is on SRAM force. No bent teeth just enough lateral movement in the 50 that thechain gets derailed as my right crank goes over the top on a sprint. Got new cranks from Fsa but have not installed them yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I've had my sram for five months and have over 5k on the force and have not had any issue with the chainrings and I'm 185lbs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33
    I've had my sram for five months and have over 5k on the force and have not had any issue with the chainrings and I'm 185lbs
    What model and are you on standard or compact?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138

Add me to your list of sprinters
    I am a high cadence guy on a triple (50/39/3) 12/25.
    I raced Cat5 this year and never ran ou tof gears in the flates.
    In fact, I can out sprint most people with double on 53/11. It feels good to pull away from those expensive carbon Pinarello and Colnago