SRAM Red Black brakes. Is this normal?
    RoadBikeReview Member

SRAM Red Black brakes. Is this normal?

Hi All,

I just received my sram red black brakes and noticed something strange. There are two brakes and I noticed that one has a longer mounting screw then the other. I am going to assume the one with the longer screw is the on for the front (When I refer to screw I am not talking about the actual bolt I know those come in various sizes). Now when I look at the pads the aero wing at the bottom of the pads are in the opposite direction to the front. Is this just an oversight during assembly or are they supposed to be mounted in reverse? And finally can I just reverse them myself?

I'm fairly new to road cycling so I don't completely understand certain things but I am fairly good with assembly. I build 5 mountain bikes and 1 cyclocross.

Thanks,
    S

Slightly Opinionated
    As for the first part of the question, the longer counter sunk nut is for the fork.

The second part, I couldn't tell you: been riding Ciamillo brakes for so long that I forget what way the fins point on regular calipers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    As for the first part of the question, the longer counter sunk nut is for the fork.

The second part, I couldn't tell you: been riding Ciamillo brakes for so long that I forget what way the fins point on regular calipers.
    Thanks. So I believe they were mounted incorrectly from factory.

S

Slightly Opinionated
    Looking at my wife's bike, it looks like the flat part of the "shark fin" faces forward on the brake shoe.
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    Looking at my wife's bike, it looks like the flat part of the "shark fin" faces forward on the brake shoe.
    Interesting. I wonder why when to me that appears to be backwards. I saw that on a few images on google as well but why backwards?

Maybe someone else has more to share on this...

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by svard75 View Post
    Interesting. I wonder why when to me that appears to be backwards. I saw that on a few images on google as well but why backwards?

Maybe someone else has more to share on this...
    The only thing I can possibly think of is to channel water away from the wheel/braking surface, but that's only a stretch of a guess.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

"Aero wing?"

Are you talking about the shark-fin shaped wheel guides protruding from the bottom of the the brake pad housings? They prevent the tire from getting jammed into the bottom of a brake pad housing during a fast wheel installation. The way the wheel guides are facing has to do with the direction from which most mechanics or riders slip a wheel into the frame. Chances are high that they face in the right direction.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    mount the brakes on your bike and look at them. the 'fins' both point forward. they're 'backwards' on one because you're not taking in to consideration that the brakes point in opposite directions when mounted on the bike. they not supposed to point the same way when you just look at the brakes sitting on the work bench next to each other.
    and they're not 'mounting screws', they're 'nuts'...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    mount the brakes on your bike and look at them. the 'fins' both point forward. they're 'backwards' on one because you're not taking in to consideration that the brakes point in opposite directions when mounted on the bike. they not supposed to point the same way when you just look at the brakes sitting on the work bench next to each other.
    and they're not 'mounting screws', they're 'nuts'...
    I understand that, maybe my question wasn't well put together. I was taking into account that they were both mounted. I was under the impression that the fins were supposed to be facing backwards for aerodynamics, however what wim said about wheel guides makes sense.

Thanks for clarifying guys.

S

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Are you talking about the shark-fin shaped wheel guides protruding from the bottom of the the brake pad housings? They prevent the tire from getting jammed into the bottom of a brake pad housing during a fast wheel installation. The way the wheel guides are facing has to do with the direction from which most mechanics or riders slip a wheel into the frame. Chances are high that they face in the right direction.
    I never knew that. Learn something new every day on RBR.

Happily absent RBR Member
    I'd suggest not looking at the fins, and worry about the opening at the back of the pad holder where the brake pad itself is inserted and removed. It is important that this opening always face the rear of the bicycle if you want to keep your pads..

Whatever the fin orientation, it will always be the same for the front and back brakes. The shape of the "fin" is arbitrary, and used to always be symetrical, like on these:
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    I'd suggest not looking at the fins, and worry about the opening at the back of the pad holder where the brake pad itself is inserted and removed. It is important that this opening always face the rear of the bicycle if you want to keep your pads..

Whatever the fin orientation, it will always be the same for the front and back brakes. The shape of the "fin" is arbitrary, and used to always be symetrical, like on these:
    yes. They could be shaped like shark fins, dolphin fins, or whale fins and it wouldn't make a difference. So long as they make the wheel easier to put in on installation, then they're fine.
    If you're still unsure I'd mount them on the bike and then judge again. It'll probably change your perspective.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like Kontact said. The open end of the pad holder needs to face the rear of the bike. If it doesn't you'll soon find out why.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I can't believe that Sram tooled up for different brake shoe holders. Are you sure the fins are different? Or are you holding the brakes in your hand and forgetting that the front and rear are mirrored with the mounting bolts facing each other when on the bike.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

Happily absent RBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    I can't believe that Sram tooled up for different brake shoe holders. Are you sure the fins are different? Or are you holding the brakes in your hand and forgetting that the front and rear are mirrored with the mounting bolts facing each other when on the bike.
    And you would be right. Here's a page with some pictures of a SRAM Red equipped bike. It isn't hard to see that the fins point forward on the front and rear:

http://battlemountain.olx.com/2009-s...101906336#pics
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com