Sram Red crank -> Sram SRM crank

Mar 2009

Sram Red crank -> Sram SRM crank

I am about to change out my Sram Red crank for a Sram wired SRM crank. Could anyone walk me through the process of removing my Red crank and installing the SRM crank? I am pretty much a novice. I have done work on every other part of the bike but have yet to tackle anything to do with the bottom bracket / cranks.

Thanks.

Anti-Hero
    I just did the same swap on my bike a couple of months ago. It's pretty straightforward- take your pedals off of the old crank and use an 8mm allen key to remove it. Apply some grease to the end/threads of the new one and install.You may need to tweak your FD a little, but it's gonna be pretty close.

If you really want to take the old BB out, just remember that the non-drive side is lefty-loosey and the drive side is righty-loosey I always put some grease in the threads of the frame and plumber's tape on the new BB threads before installation.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Mar 2009
    Thanks for the reply! Sounds pretty straightforward. Would you recommend me taking off the bottom bracket? It is a new bike (ordered online) and the bottom bracket / crankset was already installed. I'm just thinking that while I have the cranks off I might as well take off the bottom bracket and inspect the previous installation. When I remove the bottom bracket, is there anything I should look for? Or when re-installing it are there any tips you can give me?

BTW, I like the idea of the plumbers tape on the threads of the BB. I have never seen that done.

Thanks again!

I didn't even own a cat..
    Hey Tennesee...alms to the poor on your old (new) red crank....;)
    2008 Louis Garneau Sonix 6.4
    2002 KHS Flite 500
    1999 Gary Fisher Big Sur

The Bike Genie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee
    Thanks for the reply! Sounds pretty straightforward. Would you recommend me taking off the bottom bracket? It is a new bike (ordered online) and the bottom bracket / crankset was already installed. I'm just thinking that while I have the cranks off I might as well take off the bottom bracket and inspect the previous installation. When I remove the bottom bracket, is there anything I should look for? Or when re-installing it are there any tips you can give me?

BTW, I like the idea of the plumbers tape on the threads of the BB. I have never seen that done.

Thanks again!
    Removing the BB on a brand new bike is not necessary so long as it was installed correctly. If it was done by a reputable shop, I recommend leaving it be. With the new Carbon frames is is possible to Under tighten and over tighten BB's very easily if you're not using a torque wrench to tighten it to spec which could result in anything from improper spacing (too loose) to a cracked BB shell (too tight).

I do all my own work on my bike without a torque wrench but I have been doing it a while so I have the experience. If you are going to tackle it, remember that the drive side BB Thread is Reverse Threaded (Clockwise loosens it) and don't forget to re-grease the threads before reinstalling.

Forgive me if I sound rude, But why on earth would you install a SRM if you're a Novice??

Anti-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTourino
    ...Forgive me if I sound rude, But why on earth would you install a SRM if you're a Novice??
    I have some very, very talented teammates that can barely change their own flats. It's not that uncommon.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Mar 2009
    "Forgive me if I sound rude, But why on earth would you install a SRM if you're a Novice??"

Not rude at all. I have been pondering that same question myself. I have just recently been learning to wrench my own bike and have been more pleased with my own work than the work of others. Not to mention, if something isn't working right I can only blame myself. I have been using a powertap for 3 years now and have finally made the leap to the SRM. I want to fully understand how it works and think that if I install it myself I will accomplish that, and at the same time learn a new skill (I mentioned earlier that I have never done any work on the cranks or bottom bracket). Does that make sense? Do you recommend I take it to a shop?

BTW, I wouldn't think of installing it without a torque wrench. I will be purchasing one for this installation. So not only will I learn a new skill, I get to buy a new tool. Now let's just hope I don't ruin the SRM in the process.

One more thing... There is a washer on the spindle of the SRM crank. Does that go on between the outside of the BB and the non-drive side crank arm?

Thanks again for all the help!

The Bike Genie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee
    "Forgive me if I sound rude, But why on earth would you install a SRM if you're a Novice??"

Not rude at all. I have been pondering that same question myself. I have just recently been learning to wrench my own bike and have been more pleased with my own work than the work of others. Not to mention, if something isn't working right I can only blame myself. I have been using a powertap for 3 years now and have finally made the leap to the SRM. I want to fully understand how it works and think that if I install it myself I will accomplish that, and at the same time learn a new skill (I mentioned earlier that I have never done any work on the cranks or bottom bracket). Does that make sense? Do you recommend I take it to a shop?

BTW, I wouldn't think of installing it without a torque wrench. I will be purchasing one for this installation. So not only will I learn a new skill, I get to buy a new tool. Now let's just hope I don't ruin the SRM in the process.

One more thing... There is a washer on the spindle of the SRM crank. Does that go on between the outside of the BB and the non-drive side crank arm?

Thanks again for all the help!

Ok, my fault. i thought you meant you were a novice cyclist, not a novice wrench. SRM is far superior to power-tap, you'll love it, plus you get to loose the ugly, bulky hub and yellow head-unit! Honestly, unless you're made of money, don't waste any on a torque wrench. They are expensive and unnecessary unless you're in a shop and working on someone else's bike. Taking it to the shop will result in a $15 charge for a task that a monkey could do, thus the reason I don't let anyone touch my bikes but me.

The rule of thumb is to hand tighten the bb cups so they sit flush against the BB shell then take your wrenc and tighten it 1/4-1/2 turn (or until it is difficult to turn). The washer that comes with it should be installed on the crank spindle (drive side) and will sit against the drive side bearing race. Thats how it is on my Cannondale System-Six, but i also use the press-fit OS-BB30 Ceramic BB.

I would also recommend that you apply a thin layer of grease to your Crank spindle before installing it to ensure it slide in smoothly.