Sram Red Double Tap Shifters Compatability Front Derailleur

Sep 2009

Sram Red Double Tap Shifters Compatability Front Derailleur

Needing advice:

I'm using Sram Red Double Tap with Red rear derailleur but they don't make a front derailleur that fits my 28.6 seat tube.

Can I use the new Shimano Ultegra 6700 or Dura Ace 7800/7900 front derailleur?

I can wait a few weeks and get a shim that would fit a 2010 Sram Force front derailleur.

Any downsides to using the Shimano Ultegra or Dura ace, also any recommendations between the two?

Thanks for your help!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    You can use an front derailleur that you please, even Campy. Or, if you want to keep all SRAM components, you could get a braze-on adapter clamp and use a Red braze-on FD
    “It is just a ‘Game Boy’ that has a gigolo attached at the end telling the racer when to take a piss,” Hinault

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Or you could get a shim to adapt a larger clamp-on SRAM FD to your smaller seat tube.

Asad

Sep 2009
    The only shims I could find are from Wheels Manufacturing and they are out - I spoke with them directly.

I'm really inpatient and I'm looking at 3-4 weeks before I could get my hands on one of these.

I really don't want to wait so long so I'm thinking of just ordering a new Shimano Ultegra 6700 front derailleur.

Anyone out there use the Sram Red Double Tap with the new Ultegra front - experiences?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    They make EVERY Sram FD to fit that size, as stated above go get a braze on FD & use the nice Sram mount!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Honestly my Ultegra FD shifts better than my Red FD does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Have a machinist make a shim. It's really easy- I am a very amateur machinist and it took me 30 minutes. A pro could do it in 10.