SRAM Red ETAP.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SRAM Red ETAP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

SRAM Red ETAP.

Just had SRAM RED ETAP installed. I cannot believe how amazing this system is. If you are considering it and do not mind the cost pull the trigger.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Waiting for Hydro...
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    How is compared to Di2 or EPS?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    My buddy has DI2. It's very good as well. I just preferred the totally wireless system.

RoadBikeReview Member

SRAM Red ETAP.

Quote Originally Posted by greg12666 View Post
    My buddy has DI2. It's very good as well. I just preferred the totally wireless system.
    As long as you don't need blips or using the TT system were some wires are required
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    As long as you don't need blips or using the TT system were some wires are required
    Don't those wires just run from the blip or TT controls to the main shifters? Don't need wires from the handlebars to the derailleurs either way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I really don't get why eliminating a few grams worth of wires wires is a such a big deal to some.
    I suppose if you take apart and rebuild your bike after every ride it would be nice but otherwise who cares? Wires, no wires, not really something I'd care about. Not that no wires is bad but I don't really see how it's better than sliced bread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    . Deleted

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I really don't get why eliminating a few grams worth of wires wires is a such a big deal to some.
    I suppose if you take apart and rebuild your bike after every ride it would be nice but otherwise who cares? Wires, no wires, not really something I'd care about. Not that no wires is bad but I don't really see how it's better than sliced bread.
    Cool story bro

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Just had SRAM RED ETAP installed. I cannot believe how amazing this system is. If you are considering it and do not mind the cost pull the trigger.
    Awesome. Can't wait for mine to be installed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Do you use a wired or wireless bike computer?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Try retrofitting a bike designed to be mechanical to wired Di2. The task is either impossible with many recent framesets....or the result is a mess of ugly zipties at best.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Quote Originally Posted by 5DII View Post
    Since there have been several..."people"... parroting this puerile phrase recently, I was wondering where you heard it from? It strikes me as something corporate came up with, I'm just curious if I'm right on that.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    Don't those wires just run from the blip or TT controls to the main shifters? Don't need wires from the handlebars to the derailleurs either way.
    wires are wires... greg seems to think eTap is "totally wireless"... just pointing out the realities for those that don't know. Friend of mine is getting eTap for his venge vias.. I can't certainly see the advantage for that bike. I'll try it out then, but I like my Di2 and likely would not switch since I am heavily invested with 3 bikes running DA and 1 bike running Ultegra .. all electronic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Try retrofitting a bike designed to be mechanical to wired Di2. The task is either impossible with many recent framesets....or the result is a mess of ugly zipties at best.
    The Etap seems like a great option for my Seven frame. Definitely considering for next group. Putting Di2 on this frame would be messy. Great way to get electronic shiftig on an existing frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah. I always thought Di2; BFD, borrrring. Wireless electronic at least is starting to catch up with current technology. We've been using wireless phones, cyclometers, bluetooth headsets, wifi, etc., for a long time now.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    For me, the coolest part about tap isn't the fact that its wireless, but rather the many in which in the levers control shifting... right side down the cassettes, left side up the cassette, both shift the front ring.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp

banned
    Jun 2008
    Greg,
    Keep us informed as time goes on. It's an interesting concept and, if it has had good R&D, it will likely be good news for retrofits and for frame builders.

Battery life and dependability will be among the questions that early adopters like you can answer.

Try to ignore Luddite congregation rants (RBR is their house of worship).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 5DII View Post
    Okay, so I say wireless, then you think you got me in a contradiction, then I explain where I said I don't see how wireless is better than sliced bread and I'm not claiming my wireless computer is better than sliced bread or great compared to wired.....blah blah. Is that how this works?

Like I said, I don't see what the big deal is. Using something else wireless, where I also don't see what the big deal is, doesn't really have anything to do with the price of tea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    eTap has simply been a joy to use. Everything about it has been well thought out. The best thing about it is the shift paddle feels mechanical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Getting a warranty replacement Sworks Tarmac. Thinking about it as well. Anybody else have opinions on go/no go. Running Sworks cranks and Praxis chain rings.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Is Etap back and/or forwards compatible to 10 or 12 speed? Seems like this should be doable, and would be a nice marketing advantage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Just installed a mini group for my road bike from Red 10 mechanical and very impressed with ease of installation and performance. I could go on and on but this is all completely subjective and honestly biased towards what the rider has on his/her bike. I had a very unique opportunity to test out Ultegra Di2 and eTap side by side on day. From my old Red 10 mech v. Di2, v. eTap I thought eTap felt the best and performed the best. Super hard to explain and those who feel the need to debate just ride it and make your choice. No bad choices imho and it really comes down to your comfort level in disposable income.

I would recommend eTap to anyone all day long though. Crisp, clean, quick and intuitive. I run it with rotor q's and it's been flawless. I only write this if someone has reservations using rotor q's...

coaster
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    For me, the coolest part about tap isn't the fact that its wireless, but rather the many in which in the levers control shifting... right side down the cassettes, left side up the cassette, both shift the front ring.
    When I shift chainrings I simultaneously do a single, double, triple, or quad shift in the rear. I never shift the front without simultaneously shifting the rear. This is impossible with Etap and is a deal breaker for me.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Is Etap back and/or forwards compatible to 10 or 12 speed? Seems like this should be doable, and would be a nice marketing advantage.
    It is something that we probably won't know until 12speed comes to road.

It does need said that Di2 on the firmware side has been a colossal screwup from the beginning. Bad software tools that aren't maintained or updated (AFAIK etube is only officially compatible with RTM Windows 7 SP0, as it need a .NET framework that is nearly 10 years old)... Firmware updates that can permanently break your setup... Shimano randomly deciding to break frankenbike setups of multi-gen hardware....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast