SRAM Red eTap - actual weights and installation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,963

    SRAM Red eTap - actual weights and installation

    SRAM Red eTap - actual weights and installation - BikeRadar



    The eTap group as a whole is about 1,970g, roughly 60g heavier than mechanical Red but about 75g lighter than Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9070 for comparably configured setups.

    Claimed weight for a pair of eTap shifters is 130g and we weighed our test samples at 131g. For reference, mechanical Red shifters are 140g a piece.


    The rear derailleur is claimed at 239g; we weighed ours at 237g including the 24g battery (the red plastic cover weighs 3g).


    The front derailleur is claimed at 187g; we weighed ours at 162g including the battery.
    use a torque wrench

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    980
    Looks straight forward.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,947
    Have to admit, it looks pretty cool.

    How does one know the battery level in each component (derailleurs and shifters)? Is an owner going to need to carry spare 2032 batteries?

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    700
    I guess that's about where I expected the weight to be.

  5. #5
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,963
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Have to admit, it looks pretty cool.

    How does one know the battery level in each component (derailleurs and shifters)? Is an owner going to need to carry spare 2032 batteries?

    From what I gather every time you press a shift button it will light up a color. Every time a derailleur does something it will light up a color.


    Green means good battery life. Red means less than 25%. Flashing red means less than 5%

    The interchangeable derailleur batteries do need charging. SRAM claims a 60-hour battery life, which could last between 1 and 6 months. The LED light shows green until battery life dips under 25%, at which point is shows red. The LED starts to flash red when battery life is below 5%.


    After releasing a safety switch, the batteries slide out easily and into a charger.


    The shifters use standard CR2032 coin batteries, with the same LED indicator system. SRAM claims these will last about two years.


    When traveling, SRAM recommends removing the batteries and attaching plastic covers to the derailleurs and batteries. The system works on accelerometers; the system is put to sleep when immobile then woken when moved. So, if you transport your bike by car or plane without removing the batteries, then the system will be awake the whole time.
    It would be the large proprietary batteries that you'd want to be carrying if anything. The shifter batteries should last two years, that's a long time. You will see the red lights on the shifters long before they die. The derailleur batteries though will die much quicker and need much more constant attention.
    use a torque wrench

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    980
    But the odds are the front and rear derellier batteries won't die at the same time. So you can swap them around. Say, rear dies you take the front and swap it with the rear.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,752
    Got a weight comparison of the system to Di2 Ultegra or Dura Ace with an internal battery ?
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

    "The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,162
    I'm kinda surprised a shifter is only 10gm less than the mech Red; no cable drum, metal ratchet wheel, pawls and linkages, spring, shaft.... I guess it's a testament to how light the mech Red is.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

  9. #9
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16,177
    I do like the LED's. I wish Shimano would incorporate them into di2.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  10. #10
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    29,151
    Maybe by the time Capag introduced semi-wireless into their toys, my cabled Campy will need replacing.

    I'll leave it to the early adopters to suffer all the "features", and then snag some with my preferred ergonomics.

  11. #11
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Got a weight comparison of the system to Di2 Ultegra or Dura Ace with an internal battery ?
    Actual weights of 2015 retail items with standard crank and 11-25 (ish) cassette:

    Sram Red 22: 1741 grams (BB30) or 1845 grams (GXP)

    Campy Super Record: 1940 grams

    Sram Red 22 eTap: 1970 grams

    Dura-Ace 9000: 1998 grams

    Dura-Ace 9070 Di2: 2034 grams (internal battery)

    Campy Record: 2039 grams

    Campy SR EPS v3: 2078 grams

    Sram Force 22: 2097 grams (BB30) or 2177 grams (GXP)

    Ultegra 6800: 2294 grams

    Ultegra 6870 Di2: 2407 grams (internal battery)

    105 5800: 2445 grams
    use a torque wrench

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,419
    Quote Originally Posted by bmach View Post
    But the odds are the front and rear derellier batteries won't die at the same time. So you can swap them around. Say, rear dies you take the front and swap it with the rear.
    then how would you shift the front without battery?

  13. #13
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    29,151
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    then how would you shift the front without battery?
    You wouldn't...but many people most of the time can arrange to limp home on only their cassette shifting range.

  14. #14
    Matnlely Dregaend
    Reputation: DrSmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,785
    My 10 year old Record group weighs the same... but I'll admit I'm intrigued by the concept. There is no chance I'll buy this group until about 2 or 3 years from now based on SRAMs consumer based beta testing program, but if they manage to make this work perhaps they can introduce wireless brakes and get rid of cables altogether? Maintenance wise this would be great.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,105
    Very cool.

    I will look for a 2017 race team pro deal on this.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,947
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    ...if they manage to make this work perhaps they can introduce wireless brakes and get rid of cables altogether?
    Would you want to risk braking (or lack thereof) to an unforeseen dead battery?

    Not me.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,392
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    , but if they manage to make this work perhaps they can introduce wireless brakes and get rid of cables altogether? Maintenance wise this would be great.
    Really? what type of brake cable maintenance do you do?

    The need for modulation, varied pressure ect makes wireless braking a completely different ball game from shifting so managing to get shifting to work wouldn't say much about being able to do it for brakes.

  18. #18
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,950
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    then how would you shift the front without battery?
    Seriously? If you're dumb enough to let your battery(s) die you deserve to ride home on only the rear derailleur.

    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    I'm kinda surprised a shifter is only 10gm less than the mech Red; no cable drum, metal ratchet wheel, pawls and linkages, spring, shaft.... I guess it's a testament to how light the mech Red is.
    Read it again:

    "Claimed weight for a pair of eTap shifters is 130g and we weighed our test samples at 131g. For reference, mechanical Red shifters are 140g a piece.
    #promechaniclife

  19. #19
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16,177
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    then how would you shift the front without battery?
    Uhh... swap the batteries.

    How do you shift the front (or rear) if you break a shift cable?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  20. #20
    Matnlely Dregaend
    Reputation: DrSmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Really? what type of brake cable maintenance do you do?

    The need for modulation, varied pressure ect makes wireless braking a completely different ball game from shifting so managing to get shifting to work wouldn't say much about being able to do it for brakes.
    Well, really, I do lots of maintenance regarding brakes. The first place a steel frame rusts seems to be at the cable stops, for me it's the ones on the top tube. I spend quite a lot of time cleaning there and restoring the frame if it rusts. The cable itself can corrode from sweat (even the stainless ones do on me, Campy quality and everything...), and obviously they need to be replaced every 2 years or so at a minimum. The brake cable needs frame protectors at the head tube and often on the top tube near the seat post. The housing needs to be replaced when it starts to crack (or before that happens). The brake adjusters on the calipers tend to corrode / gum up, as do the anchor plates. All this could be avoided without cables.

    I think the modulation should be doable remotely, but obviously there would have to be safety features, like automatic engagement if the link fails.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,392
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    Well, really, I do lots of maintenance regarding brakes. The first place a steel frame rusts seems to be at the cable stops, for me it's the ones on the top tube. I spend quite a lot of time cleaning there and restoring the frame if it rusts. The cable itself can corrode from sweat (even the stainless ones do on me, Campy quality and everything...), and obviously they need to be replaced every 2 years or so at a minimum. The brake cable needs frame protectors at the head tube and often on the top tube near the seat post. The housing needs to be replaced when it starts to crack (or before that happens). The brake adjusters on the calipers tend to corrode / gum up, as do the anchor plates. All this could be avoided without cables.
    I'll take your word for it. But it's really hard to image your experience with brake cables on a steel bike being so different from mine. I commute on a steel framed bybrid that stays outside 24/7/365 in Boston subject to all the crapy weather and salt and in the 6 or so years I've had it frame rust or brake cables have been a complete non issue.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BigPoser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    571
    eTap looks awesome!

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    Very cool.

    I will look for a 2017 race team pro deal on this.
    Or any team that has access to a QBP account?
    Stop caring about other people's FTP and ride your damn bike.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    402
    I'd love to see this table with MSRP and then ''internet'' prices too ...

    I'm on 6800, and always been a shimano guy, but this eTap thing looks great. Next bike could well be this.

    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Actual weights of 2015 retail items with standard crank and 11-25 (ish) cassette:

    Sram Red 22: 1741 grams (BB30) or 1845 grams (GXP)

    Campy Super Record: 1940 grams

    Sram Red 22 eTap: 1970 grams

    Dura-Ace 9000: 1998 grams

    Dura-Ace 9070 Di2: 2034 grams (internal battery)

    Campy Record: 2039 grams

    Campy SR EPS v3: 2078 grams

    Sram Force 22: 2097 grams (BB30) or 2177 grams (GXP)

    Ultegra 6800: 2294 grams

    Ultegra 6870 Di2: 2407 grams (internal battery)

    105 5800: 2445 grams

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,162
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    My 10 year old Record group weighs the same...
    Including the cables?
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SRAM etap realease dates
    By Rashadabd in forum SRAM
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-20-2016, 07:55 AM
  2. SRAM Red eTap Official Release
    By MMsRepBike in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 10-22-2015, 03:38 AM
  3. Sram Red - I have actual weights
    By skyliner1004 in forum SRAM
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 04:34 PM
  4. Sram Red - I have actual weights
    By skyliner1004 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 05:28 PM
  5. '06 Gal mods with actual weights
    By tod in forum Pinarello
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 10:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.