SRAM Red eTap Official Release
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Forever a Student

SRAM Red eTap Official Release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCmxZOHFnSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68cV00oRK1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_L_Qy0UAvc

I like that they developed their own protocol for safety and security reasons.

$$ about $1660ish or more to upgrade. Keep your brakes and cranks.

No 32 tooth cassette compatibility. Heavier than it's mechanical counterpart as well.
    Last edited by MMsRepBike; 08-26-2015 at 05:01 AM.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I have Ultegra Di2 and I love it, the SRAM system seems very sound as well. The price is more than $1600, it was around $2800 from the US pricing I saw in an article.
    2015 Giant TCX Advanced 1
    2014 Giant Propel Advanced Di2
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5-1
    2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL4

Forever a Student
    $1660 is the minimum upgrade cost. That's just the levers and mechs. A full group will indeed be about $3K. $1660 does not include anything additional, meaning no buttons or extra anything. Just front mech, rear mech, charger, levers and batteries.

The levers are quite a bit smaller. The ergonomics are much different. I think this will be a polarizing group. Some are going to love it and some just won't be able to deal with it's uniqueness.
    use a torque wrench

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Did I miss something here? Everything I've read says that Sram have re-thought the shifting using a clean slate - something that Campagnolo and Shimano didn't do.

I guess the shift levers only push inwards towards the center line of the bike. So why didn't they rig them so that a push to the left makes the chain move left and a push to the right makes the chain move right?

As far as I can figure out, the opposite actually happens. Why?

From the column "Sram e-Tap, shifting finally makes sense" -

SRAM's eTap: Shifting finally makes sense - VeloNews.com

- we get this contradiction -

"Press the right button for a harder gear, the left button for an easier gear".

Mud
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Smile Ha ha! I called it 3 years ago -

See this thread: Di2 Custom Build - no wires - Page 3 - even down to the use of watch-type batteries (which SRAM is using in the shifters.) Should have patented my ideas.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    One of the articles said they had been working on the idea for 5 years - and your post was in 2012. Probably they had already taken out the patent by then.

Mud
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Should have added a "tounge in cheek" emoji next to my "patent" comment. My point 3 years ago was - wireless was just the obvious next step in shifting, since everything else in the world was going wireless.
    Last edited by Mud; 08-26-2015 at 06:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Interested but, will wait for the B model and get reports from friends who have to have the latest and greatest. Main concern for me is battery issues. 2032's for the shifters and rechargeable's for the fd/rd just seems like a bit much for me as someone who likes to KISS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Yes, interesting. Will follow the development and refinement.

In the meantime, I'll stick with DA9000 mechanical.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Did I miss something here? Everything I've read says that Sram have re-thought the shifting using a clean slate - something that Campagnolo and Shimano didn't do.

I guess the shift levers only push inwards towards the center line of the bike. So why didn't they rig them so that a push to the left makes the chain move left and a push to the right makes the chain move right?

To shift the FD requires pushing both buttons. That rules out simultaneously shifting both derailleurs.
    Also if riding on the top of the bars you can't reach down with just one hand to shift the FD.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I was unaware that Shimano and Campy shifting was complicated. I mean really? that article is foolish.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Should have added a "tounge in cheek" emoji next to my "patent" comment. My point 3 years ago was - wireless was just the obvious next step in shifting, since everything else in the world was going wireless.
    Yep I've done that too - "Huh why didn't *I* think of that and patent it!"

Matnlely Dregaend
    I have never used anything wireless that works 100% of the time. I'd like to try it for sure, but I can't shake the suspicion that it won't shift right when I need it most.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    To shift the FD requires pushing both buttons. That rules out simultaneously shifting both derailleurs.
    Also if riding on the top of the bars you can't reach down with just one hand to shift the FD.
    This is the deal breaker.

I will shift the front and rear mech together no less than 10 times every single ride.

This groupset will not sell much at all where I live. The inability to shift front and rear at the same time is a straight deal breaker.

If the roads aren't super pitchy, not so much of a problem. But when they're constantly pitchy, this is a HUGE problem. Hyperglide shifting is what makes Shimano my favorite. It works flawlessly. One chainring and three gears in the back without missing even half a beat. Impossible on this system. You'd have to stop pedaling, shift the front, shift the back, then pedal again. No thanks, not going to work around here.
    use a torque wrench

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post

How is that a contradiction? It's exactly how it works. I know some are complaining about not being able to simul-shift front and rear, something that I honestly have never done on purpose. Ever. And it's definitely not flat where I live/ride. I know some people love to do it, and they'll most likely not look at e-tap, but they're in the minority as far as I can tell. I've worked with and ridden this stuff and it works. Very easy to set up. Very easy to adjust. It will be very interesting to see how the riding public takes to it.
    #promechaniclife

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    I'm diehard DA9000 mechanical... and this group interests me. Its as if they've taken all of the things that I don't like about Di2 or EPS and addressed them. That being said, I won't be an early adopter, I'll wait for others to street test.

My questions are... Would this work with a Shimano Crankset? if not, why? Will this bring down the price of the other electronic group sets?

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by TricrossRich View Post
    I'm diehard DA9000 mechanical... and this group interests me. Its as if they've taken all of the things that I don't like about Di2 or EPS and addressed them. That being said, I won't be an early adopter, I'll wait for others to street test.

My questions are... Would this work with a Shimano Crankset? if not, why? Will this bring down the price of the other electronic group sets?
    Chainring spacing is so close across the board I can't see why it wouldn't work. They're all almost exactly the same at this point.
    #promechaniclife

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    The posted video says that the unit will not connect to Garmin... but GCN's video says that the ret mech does Transmit an ant+ channel for Garmin to indicate gear.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Chainring spacing is so close across the board I can't see why it wouldn't work. They're all almost exactly the same at this point.
    Yes, that's what I would imagine, just don't have any practical experience to base it on. A good friend of mine is running Shimano Di2 with a SRAM RED crankset (for less weight, I think) and he has no issues. I know that many of the factory Spec Specialized bikes run Di2 with Specialized cranks (which are supposedly very similar to SRAM) without issue.... but if it works in one direction, it doesn't mean it has to work in the other...

As a mechanical DA user, I'd need FD, RD, Levers, charger and brakes, I suppose...

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    How is that a contradiction? It's exactly how it works. I know some are complaining about not being able to simul-shift front and rear, something that I honestly have never done on purpose. Ever. And it's definitely not flat where I live/ride. I know some people love to do it, and they'll most likely not look at e-tap, but they're in the minority as far as I can tell. I've worked with and ridden this stuff and it works. Very easy to set up. Very easy to adjust. It will be very interesting to see how the riding public takes to it.
    I do it on purpose when I'm on the trainer after an interval and nearly died. However, it's not a deal killer by any means. I would quickly adj to hitting both levers to drop the FD and then the right a couple of times to go up a couple of cogs.

There seems to be some in road cycling where if they can't have that thing they do .01% of the time, the deals off. They don't think that this new fangled thing might take 2 steps to do something, but makes 3 other tasks significantly better.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    but makes 3 other tasks significantly better.
    I'm just not getting it. Different and not worse, okay, but I don't see how anything it better here.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Yup, I'm one of those oddball simul-shift people. With Campag and multi-shifting it lets you keep sequentially gear down on rollers off the dinner-plate and not lose stride.

Hopefully Campags version of wireless includes it when it comes sooner or later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No cables just, attach and set stops. Love the idea but 1st generation tech is always a no/no. Plus I'm a Shimano person so looking forward to what they come up with. Though I am open to seeing what it is like in the real world and deciding off that. For people adding a new group to a older frame it would be super easy and clean looking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I shift FD and RD at the same time often. But after reading about this Sram a while back I paid attention to my shifting and most of the time it's not exactly at the same time. Instead it's FD quickly followed by 1-3 RD shifts.

Depending on the button delay and how long it takes to press both to make a FD shift, it may not be a change from how I do it now. Or if the delays are long it could be clumsy and slow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Hyperglide shifting is what makes Shimano my favorite.
    Honey, you were told before that what you are talking about has nothing to do with "hyperglide". See here, right from the horse's mouth.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast