Sram Red vs. Force/Rival big chainring
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

Sram Red vs. Force/Rival big chainring

I need to replace my 50T chainring on my 2008 Sram Rival crank. I can get a Red chainring for about $10 more than the Force/Rival version (same as what I currently use). I have no complaints w/ my current shifting, but I've never tried a Red crank.

Could it be even better? Is it worth upgrading to Red? Will it look stupid w/ a Rival crank (silver crankarms)? BTW, I'm a lightweight spinner (150lbs) so I don't need a super stiff ring.

Thanks.

Rub it............
    Its not going to shift any better providing the shifting is already setup properly. Save the 10 bux and just get the Force/Rival chainring.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Slightly Opinionated
    I noticed a big difference from the Force and Red chainrings. Different technology and seemingly better design on the pins and ramps.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Its not going to shift any better providing the shifting is already setup properly. Save the 10 bux and just get the Force/Rival chainring.
    anytime you can use a stiffer chainring (all other things being the same, ie: pins/ramps, etc) the shifting performance will be better.
    #promechaniclife

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench
    anytime you can use a stiffer chainring (all other things being the same, ie: pins/ramps, etc) the shifting performance will be better.

This is probably true when using the entire Red crank system. I just don't think that its going to make a difference that the OP will see with just a chainring swap. I have been wrong before though.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    OP here. I ended up just ordering the Force/Rival chainring,not the Red. I was happy w/ my previous one so didn't see the need to go to Red. Thanks for all your replies.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    This is probably true when using the entire Red crank system. I just don't think that its going to make a difference that the OP will see with just a chainring swap. I have been wrong before though.
    the crank arms don't really affect shifting performance, that's all down to the chainrings. that's why sram mounts the special, stiffer 'spr' 53t rings to the cranksets that teams get. it shifts a bit better and is less likely to flex under big watts. same reason the new shimano 7900 chainrings are constructed the way they are, they are designed to be as stiff as possible, and they really do shift better.
    #promechaniclife