Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

From SRAM Rival (2010) to Tiagra 4700 or 105 5700?

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Z'mer 
#1 ·
Long story short, I'm having issues with my RD on my SRAM Rival set and I'll need a new RD. My right shifter is also sticking (when I shift, it doesn't always come back to the "neutral" position).

Double tap isn't all that I thought and I kind of want to go back to Shimano. Figuring I've got $110ish in parts I need to fix my current bike, I thought about just swapping it out.

Questions: I know I need new derailleurs and shifters. Do I need a new Crankset as well or can I keep the SRAM one? How about brakes? Currently running Rival brakes.

Tiagra 4700 vs 105 5700. I've got 2 sets of wheels, both 10 speed. Don't really want to upgrade those to go 11 speed so the 5800 set is out.

Overall, it seems like people like the Tiagra 4700 shifters over the older 105 5700. If I go for the Tiagra, can I sawp the RD to the 5800 105? I know the pull ratio changed, and the 5800 RD isn't much more than the Tiagra, but weighs less.

#2 ·
Questions: I know I need new derailleurs and shifters. Do I need a new Crankset as well or can I keep the SRAM one? How about brakes? Currently running Rival brakes.

Tiagra 4700 vs 105 5700. I've got 2 sets of wheels, both 10 speed. Don't really want to upgrade those to go 11 speed so the 5800 set is out.

Overall, it seems like people like the Tiagra 4700 shifters over the older 105 5700. If I go for the Tiagra, can I sawp the RD to the 5800 105? I know the pull ratio changed, and the 5800 RD isn't much more than the Tiagra, but weighs less.
Using the old SRAM 10 speed crankset is fine. I assume brakes too, but not a SRAM expert.

I have a pair of 4700 and 6800 shifters here, and was surprised how similar the they are in appearance. They appear to use some of the same parts, and for sure the hood shape is exactly the same. Slight weight difference though, the 6800 weigh about 75g less for the shifter pair than 4700.

I bought the 4700 shifters to do what you propose - extend the life of some fairly new 10 speed wheels built with 10 speed hubs. I have not installed them yet, but all experiences I can find say they work fine with 5800/6800 derailleurs.

I am using 6800 brakes/ders with 4700 shifters, so I can swap parts if needed with my other all 6800 bike, and go full 6800 in the future if desired. Probably never will though.

For these parts, 6800 is a small increase over 5800 when buying from a place like Ribble. That is where I bought both pair of shifters, and I'm happy to say they sent them with all the cables and fittings - both shifter/brake cables, housings, and small parts. But packed in a plastic bag versus fancy shimano box. The cables are as much as $40-50 bought separate, so make sure you know what you get when comparing prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.