Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just an ordinary Joe!
    Quote Originally Posted by hummina shadeeba View Post
    I use the 2012 sram red shifters with an ultegra front deraileuueur and it works. I had researched this 2 years ago when I'd built it up and had read that it would work. Infact it was considered a better setup than the sram front deriluereur for some reason.
    The ultegra front derialeuur is now broken but goes. It weighs a ton and has all that weight in some place other than where needed it seems.
    Yes it will work like this poster stated and knows from first hand knowledge as well. So those who say it won't really have never tried or reciting mumbo jumbo they heard from sources like the internet!

In fact my LBS says the SRAM FD's are still lacking in tunability like a Shimano FD which is very forgiving. In fact they highly suggest if you have full SRAM drivetrain to put a Shimano FD on for that reason.

Okay.............throw rocks you naysayers.
    I am just a spoke in a broken wheel

RoadBikeReview Member

SRAM Shifters with Shimano Derailleurs

Quote Originally Posted by mtsheron View Post
    Yes it will work like this poster stated and knows from first hand knowledge as well. So those who say it won't really have never tried or reciting mumbo jumbo they heard from sources like the internet!

In fact my LBS says the SRAM FD's are still lacking in tunability like a Shimano FD which is very forgiving. In fact they highly suggest if you have full SRAM drivetrain to put a Shimano FD on for that reason.

Not throwing rocks. I assumed the poster was asking about rear der, as that seems to ever be about 99 percent of the compatibility questions .

Front ders seem to have had less major changes over the years. I'm currently using a suntour superbe pro front der on my rig and it works fantastic. Even though the parts from roughly 20 years different time periods.

I just like having some suntour on my bike.

But over on mtbr.com this question comes up all the time to, and apparently there is a way to rig As SRAM shifter to a shimano rear der to make it work.

Bill

Lost in Space...

Are you daft? All of the "naysayers" are discussing rear-derailleurs which will absolutely NOT work. The interchangeability of the front-derailleur is a different issue, although still not guaranteed (depending on the specific combinations being used).

In regards to what both you and hummina state (are you the same person?), claiming that using another brand isn't just workable, but in fact "highly suggested" or "considered a better setup" is ridiculous. If it is in fact better, you are in no position to defend that statement since you don't even know the basis on which some other person told you it was a better combination. You are going on hear-say without even knowing the reasoning (tunability? WTF is that supposed to mean?). Funny you should mention that the "nay-sayers" are the ones reciting mumbo-jumbo, when you are, in fact, the one doing this.
    Last edited by headloss; 12-28-2013 at 08:13 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    i didn't read anything in this thread specifying if it was the front or the rear they were asking about. In fact the plural "derailleurs" is used often in the thread. As I wrote the shimano front has been recommended on this forum over the sram and that's why I did it. If it's understood that we're all talking about only the rear please excuse me

Just an ordinary Joe!
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    Just to be clear, the discussion thus far has been talking about rear derailleurs, not front derailleurs.
    No not right ot totally...........it just said derailleurs. So one could assume either way.
    I am just a spoke in a broken wheel

'brifter' is a lame word.

IMO your shop is staffed by idiots. Shimano front derailleurs work great w/ Shimano shifters. SRAM derailleurs work great w/ SRAM shifters. I'm talking current generation stuff here, where derailleurs are engineered even more specifically to work w/ their own shifters more than in the past. Unless you break something and need to make it home in a rather desperate fashion while shifting your front derailleur, I don't know why anyone would even bother to mix and match. There is no need to "make things better" than they already are. Of course I'm taking for granted that the derailleur is, in your words, "tuned" properly.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Shimano front derailleurs work great w/ Shimano shifters. SRAM derailleurs work great w/ SRAM shifters. I'm talking current generation stuff here, where derailleurs are engineered even more specifically to work w/ their own shifters more than in the past.
    Sounds like all this front mix and match stuff is a leftover relic from a few years back when SRAM fronts were supposedly too flexy and causing poor shifting, a la Andy S dropping his chain at a crucial point of the tour. That is what, 2-3 (?) generations back for SRAM.

Lost in Space...
    No not right ot totally...........it just said derailleurs. So one could assume either way.
    I never stated otherwise. However, I was responding to (your other account? friend?) hummina, who started the trolling by calling everyone "haters" while declaring that FDs work fine. I simply clarified that no one before that point was discussing FDs. I never suggested that it was off topic nor did I suggest that the OP didn't care about it.

Likewise, "naysayers" is troll-speak. IF you and hummina wanted to discuss front-derailleurs, you could have done so without the provocative posts and name-calling (e.g. "haters" and "naysayers"). Bringing up FDs is fair game, but the approach wasn't helpful.

Re: SRAM Shifters with Shimano Derailleurs

If you had bothered to read the OP's next post you would have seen that his friend has Dura Ace and he wanted to know if his old Sram shifters would work for him. Ergo, both Sram shifters with both DA derailleurs. Therefore, whether the front will work or not is irrelevant, since the rear won't work.

I also take it that you learned your lesson about calling people names....
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    The 2013 sram front derailleur is not as thick as the 2103 shimano front derailleur so... Itís not as thick. Maybe not as stiff. So Iím claiming victory on that argument.
    Last edited by hummina shadeeba; 6 Days Ago at 02:57 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The 2013 sram front derailleur is not as thick as the 2103 shimano front derailleur so... Itís not as thick. Maybe not as stiff. So Iím claiming victory on that argument.
    You're claiming victory... on an argument....that's been dead.... for Five Years.

You win the Internet

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You're bringing this back after 5 years? WTF? Just get out of jail or something?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ooooohh, ahhhhh, nothing like a good thread dredge. That felt good.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12