Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

SRAM Shifters with Shimano Derailleurs

Will SRAM Force 10 speed shifters work with Shimano Dura Ace 10 speed derailleurs? Thanks.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    No...

RoadBikeReview Member

Nope. Different cable pull.
    Bill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I suspected that would be the case. I bought a set of Force 2012 shifters to replace a broken one. I was thinking of buying a Dura Ace 11 speed group and selling the SRAM shifters to a buddy who rides Dura Ace 10 speed. He needs new shifters and is shocked buy the cost of Dura Ace 7800 10 speed shifters.
    Now I'm wondering if my 2012 SRAM levers will even work with my older (circa 2010) SRAM group.

Lost in Space...
    Quote Originally Posted by markmaxwell View Post
    Now I'm wondering if my 2012 SRAM levers will even work with my older (circa 2010) SRAM group.
    I know of no reason why they wouldn't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013

That's a negative bud, I get this question all the time at work. SRAM and Shimano use different pull ratios in their shifters and dérailleurs so they're no cross compatible,
    Last edited by lindsaywollin; 12-26-2013 at 01:09 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywollin View Post
    That's a negative bud, I get this question all the time at work. SRAM and Shimano use different pull ratios in their shifters and dérailleurs so they're no cross compatible
    Pretty sure this question was answered correctly 3 times a week ago.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Sorry man, didn't realise it was a federal crime to offer my opinion on a post whether its been answered or not, some people like a little bit of logic and reasoning behind an answer rather than a flat out no

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Answered 3 times a week ago, yes.
    Were the answers concise? Negative.

I don't know about you but when someone tells me no; I'd like to know why. That way I, and anyone else reading the thread, learns something (last time I checked, that was the point of forums).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013

Alright lads, lets make this concise. The SRAM and Shimano dérailleurs use different anchor points on their dérailleurs, the Shimano ones are on the back of the derailleur whereas the SRAM cable anchors on the bottom, this resulting in different amounts of leverage required to shift gears. Now, SRAM shifters account for this whereas Shimano shifters account for the required leverage to operate their dérailleurs. These ratios need to be perfect to allow crisp, fast shifting. If you guys are bored and know how to tune gears. Unscrew your anchor bolt on your rear derailleur, take your cable out of the recess that its supposed to sit in, and anchor it directly under the head of the bolt instead, now try to tune your gears perfectly. It won't happen. This is what I mean by the ratios have to be dead right. By just moving that cable to another angle completely throws the leverage ratios

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Alright lads, lets make this concise. The SRAM and Shimano dérailleurs use different anchor points on their dérailleurs, the Shimano ones are on the back of the derailleur whereas the SRAM cable anchors on the bottom, this resulting in different amounts of leverage required to shift gears. Now, SRAM shifters account for this whereas Shimano shifters account for the required leverage to operate their dérailleurs. These ratios need to be perfect to allow crisp, fast shifting. If you guys are bored and know how to tune gears. Unscrew your anchor bolt on your rear derailleur, take your cable out of the recess that its supposed to sit in, and anchor it directly under the head of the bolt instead, now try to tune your gears perfectly. It won't happen. This is what I mean by the ratios have to be dead right. By just moving that cable to another angle completely throws the leverage ratios
    I was trying to say that your first answer was more concise than the other 3 but thank you for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kontradictions View Post
    I was trying to say that your first answer was more concise than the other 3 but thank you for that.
    Hahaha my bad, it's early in the morning, I didn't read it properly

Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    Bill
    Doesn't this answer the question well enough? Does everyone need to know the exact relationship between cable pull and derailleur movement for each brand when knowing that they're different and not cross-compatible tells you what you need to know?

I don't know about you but when someone tells me no; I'd like to know why. That way I, and anyone else reading the thread, learns something (last time I checked, that was the point of forums).
    Most forums include a pretty good search function as well...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Hahaha my bad, it's early in the morning, I didn't read it properly
    No worries. It was a really interesting read.

Most forums include a pretty good search function as well...
    Agreed but it's a bit disheartening to see a response to a thread and all you see is a single word response. A link to an existing thread would be nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013

Doesn't this answer the question well enough? Does everyone need to know the exact relationship between cable pull and derailleur movement for each brand when knowing that they're different and not cross-compatible tells you what you need to know?
    Geez my bad for sharing my knowledge and expertise, like I said some people like a bit of in depth logic and reasoning behind an answer. That way they're informed as to why they don't work rather than semi informed

Bill

Geez my bad for sharing my knowledge and expertise, like I said some people like a bit of in depth logic and reasoning behind an answer. That way they're informed as to why they don't work rather than semi informed
    Sorry I'm not providing the same level of information as you, but after being on this board for 10 years, I can say most people wouldn't know what to make of the information, but if they're told it won't work and why in basic terms they're fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    f they're told it won't work and why in basic terms they're fine.
    I support the short, little or explanation answer and the OP should just accept it, or if not accepting the answer, then he/she should not respond but simply try out whatever they are questioning and learn the hard way. Thus we're all saved the subsequent trite back & forth

More importantly, once the correct short answer is posted the rest of us should move on too. This would tidy up this whole Forum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I use the 2012 sram red shifters with an ultegra front deraileuueur and it works. I had researched this 2 years ago when I'd built it up and had read that it would work. Infact it was considered a better setup than the sram front deriluereur for some reason.
    The ultegra front derialeuur is now broken but goes. It weighs a ton and has all that weight in some place other than where needed it seems.
    Last edited by hummina shadeeba; 12-26-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Lost in Space...
    Quote Originally Posted by hummina shadeeba View Post
    the haters need to go ride..or work on some professional's bike again.

I use the 2012 sram red shifters with an ultegra front deraileuueur and it works. I had researched this 2 years ago when I'd built it up and had read that it would work. Infact it was considered a better setup than the sram front deriluereur for some reason.
    The ultegra front derialeuur is now broken but goes. It weighs a ton and has all that weight in some place other than where needed it seems.
    Just to be clear, the discussion thus far has been talking about rear derailleurs, not front derailleurs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I appreciate all the info provided in this thread. I've decided to ditch SRAM and Shimano altogether and go back to my first love, Campagnolo. I've heard the difference between Campy 11 and Shimano 11 cassette spacing is so negligible that you can run Shimano or SRAM 11 cassettes with Campy shifters and derailleurs. I have a White Industries T11 rear wheel that I've been using with a SRAM Force 10 group. From what I've read from Zinn you can run a Shimano or SRAM 11 speed cassette with Campy 11 shifters and derailleurs.

Decided to delete that "haters" comment, eh?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    if you'd like we can put it back? callin it as I see it..but figured you got enough flak on here already.

Bill

if you'd like we can put it back? callin it as I see it..but figured you got enough flak on here already.
    You do whatever floats your boat. I obviously do the same thing, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Slightly Opinionated
    Pretty argumentative aren't you?

Or are you just pissed you can't afford one of those snazzy bikes you're trash talking in your other thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    have a nice day
    Last edited by hummina shadeeba; 12-27-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast