SRAM XO GXP crankset vs SRAM Force 22 GXP crankset
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

SRAM XO GXP 11-speed crankset vs SRAM Force 22 11-speed GXP crankset compatibility

my mtb bike currently has a SRAM XO GXP 11-speed crankset (170mm crankarms).
    I'd like to put on SRAM FORCE 22 GXP 11-speed crankset (that has 165mm crankarms). Will the Force 22 GXP fit into the current bottom bracket on the mtb? My research says it should just work because both of these crankset are GXP type, meaning their spindle should be of the same length and 24mm/22mm wide.

second question, my current XO crank uses a direct-mount chainring (ie. spider is removable and direct-mount chainring is bolted directly onto the drive-side of the cranset). Will I be able mount this same chainring onto the Force 22 crankset? My research indicates that it should work too.

third question. will the Force 22 crankarms be able to have the same chainstay clearance (ie, same Q-factor) as the XO crankarms? I think the Force 22 and XO should have same Q-factor since they are both GXP specification. Right?

fourth question, and this one may be more difficult. Is the "chainline" of the two cranksets the same? Are their chainline angles the same? or will their chainlines have different angles? The XO crankset is designed to use with a single chainring. The Force cranset is designed to use with double-chainrings. But... since I plan to use a direct-mount chainring onto the Force crankset, I think this will also give the same chainline? FYI, these direct-mount chainrings come in different offsets: 0-degree, 3-degree, 6-degree. And I currently use the chainring with 6-deg offset.
    Again, I think the chainline with Force crankset will be the same because 1) crankset spindle length of XO and Force are the same, and 2) I will use the same direct-mount chainring on the Force crankset. Thus, I should get the same effective chainline with the Force crankset, right?

Could anyone knowledgable about this stuff verify it, or give your comments? thanks!
    Last edited by aclinjury; 05-29-2020 at 05:40 AM.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Is the mtb Boost 148? If so you'll need to get a chainring that's the correct offset. For question #2 the older DM cranks used 3 screws to hold the spider or chainring on that used a T25 wrench, the newer ones use 8 slightly smaller screws that use a T20.
    The other questions...sorry, no idea.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Is the mtb Boost 148? If so you'll need to get a chainring that's the correct offset. For question #2 the older DM cranks used 3 screws to hold the spider or chainring on that used a T25 wrench, the newer ones use 8 slightly smaller screws that use a T20.
    The other questions...sorry, no idea.
    Thanks for the reply.
    My mtb is not Boost 148 spacing, just regular 142mm spacing.
    Yeah, these two cranksets use the 3-bolt system to mount the spider. I believe the 8-bolt system is used on their newer DUB cranksets (released in 2018).
    hmm, I think Force crankset should work, can't find any reason why it won't work. I guess i'll find out soon

They started the 8 screw in 2017, I remember the new stuff the team got that season had it and caused all sorts of problems w/ re-using Quarqs from the previous season. Way before DUB.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    thank you sir for the info. Good to know all these changing standards

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    thank you sir for the info. Good to know all these changing standards
    Good luck w/ the conversion, hope it works out well!
    #promechaniclife