Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133

    Stages Power meter

    I have a stages power (GXP). When I purchase the PM in 2017, I had constant power drops. I spoke with Stages and they suggested I get the computer (Garmin 800) up away from the stem for a better signal - was a well known issue with this garmin unit. This worked for awhile, but recently this year the PM started having power drops again. Again, I spoke with Stages and provided the requested photos and the representative stated that the meter look functional from the photos and tried to suggest that the issue was from the seal. I requested they inspect the PM because I suspected something more to it, which they agreed to do. I got an email that stated that they examined the PM and that I would be receiving the unit shortly - no details on the inspection results. I just received the PM today and they sent a brand new PM.

    Would they send a new unit if the old unit wasn't bad or is this standard practice? Anyone else experience this with a Stages PM and received a new PM? I'm not mad since I received a new unit. I'm just curious.

    Thanks...

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    298
    I've had good experiences with Stages support.

    I have/had a half dozen of their single sided units, and had some kind of trouble with most of them (early on, just the seals needing to be replaced).

    Three of them failed completely at some point or another. I opened a support ticket and sent them back. They sent me back the repaired units at no charge, well outside of the warranty period.

    Edit to add: I'm curious if this improves your dropout issues...

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133
    Finx at this point I don't know if I trust this PM. It's taken the wind out of my sail. I am debating whether or not to sell it.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    298
    What's not to trust? Put it back on the bike and see if it's still dropping out. My feeling is, if you are still experiencing dropouts with the new unit, your problem may lie with your head unit.

    FWIW, I have them on all of 4 of my bikes and don't have any issues with dropouts.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133
    Based on my research there's a known communication issue with this PM and the Garmin 800 and it's well known by both companies. I don't plan to purchase another expensive head unit in hopes that it may work with this PM. I'd rather sell this unit and apply any potential head unit funds towards a Crank/PM combo.

    For the moment, I'd rather leave it in the new packaging for now so if I decide to let it go, it will be in new condition.

    Which head unit are you using with these PMs?

    Thanks for chiming in.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Which head unit are you using with these PMs?
    I originally had a Garmin 500, which I upgraded to a Garmin 820, which I permanently retired shortly thereafter in favor of a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt.

    There were some teething pains with sensor connectivity when the original Elemnt came out, but the Bolt has been great since I got it shortly after release.

    I'm done with Garmin.
    Last edited by Finx; 04-14-2018 at 11:12 AM.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 73Bronco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post

    Which head unit are you using with these PMs?

    .
    FYI, mine (DA 9000) is paired with a Garmin 820 no issues.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Finx at this point I don't know if I trust this PM. It's taken the wind out of my sail. I am debating whether or not to sell it.
    I'd replace the 8 year old head unit before I didn't trust the brand new powermeter they just sent you.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    I'd replace the 8 year old head unit before I didn't trust the brand new powermeter they just sent you.
    That's your prerogative.

    Do you have or ever had a Stages PM? Do you have any experience with a Stages PM and power drops? Have you've done any research on this issue or is this just a blanket statement.

    Nah, not buying another head unit as this unit works for me, especially the turn by turn. Besides, I've read it's having issues with newer units, too, so not chancing it (some have issues, some don't). Like I said before, I'd sell this PM and use the price of a new unit to just get a crank/PM that have proven to work consistently. It would be money better spent. When you loose confidence in something, it's not an easy thing to get back. I'm sure you've lost confidence in something in your life time and had to decide whether to continue or cut your losses. I'm still pondering what to do.

    Read if you wish and these are just a couple samples:

    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into...000-aa/149376-

    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into...r-meter-drops=
    Last edited by Methodical; 04-16-2018 at 01:00 PM.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Matador-IV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    289
    I have a Stages Ultegra GXP PM paired to a Wahoo Bolt. In 7months its yet to drop a connection. Rode outside all winter in sub freezing temps. So far so good.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Matador-IV View Post
    I have a Stages Ultegra GXP PM paired to a Wahoo Bolt. In 7months its yet to drop a connection. Rode outside all winter in sub freezing temps. So far so good.
    How is the Wahoo with turn by turn guidance? Can you load OSM maps to it? Where do you have the Waho mounted on the bike? Can you share any photos?

    I just did a quick search and it looks interesting. I'm going to watch The DC Rainmaker's video review on it, but like to get your feedback, too.

    Thanks...
    Last edited by Methodical; 04-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    How is the Wahoo with turn by turn guidance? Can you load OSM maps to it? Where do you have the Waho mounted on the bike? Can you share any photos?

    I just did a quick search and it looks interesting. I going to view The Rainmakers video review on it, but like to get your feedback, too.

    Thanks...
    Ray's write-up is a little old now. There have been quite a few significant updates/upgrades to the features since he published it.

    He did post an update when they added the Turn by Turn two years ago.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/06/...oo-elemnt.html

    There have been quite a few updates since.

    I don't use nav on my Elemnt Bolt much, so I can't can't offer first hand experience. I do know people who do use it, and love the way it works with the phone to find and update your route.

    I love my Bolt, and have had no problems with it at all. I came from Garmin about two years ago, and will not go back. If something were to happen to my Bolt, i'd be down at the LBS buying a new one lickety split.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Ray's write-up is a little old now. There have been quite a few significant updates/upgrades to the features since he published it.

    He did post an update when they added the Turn by Turn two years ago.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/06/...oo-elemnt.html

    There have been quite a few updates since.

    I don't use nav on my Elemnt Bolt much, so I can't can't offer first hand experience. I do know people who do use it, and love the way it works with the phone to find and update your route.

    I love my Bolt, and have had no problems with it at all. I came from Garmin about two years ago, and will not go back. If something were to happen to my Bolt, i'd be down at the LBS buying a new one lickety split.
    Great. Thanks for the info.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133
    I just visited Stages website and found that they have a 3rd generation PM. I checked the box and realize they sent me the newer 3rd generation PM. They claim that it's Ant+/Bluetooth has 6x improvement of data transmission strength. Uhmmmm.

    Finx, Matador, where do you'll have your Wahoo computer mounted?
    Last edited by Methodical; 04-16-2018 at 06:16 PM.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    That's your prerogative.

    Do you have or ever had a Stages PM? Do you have any experience with a Stages PM and power drops? Have you've done any research on this issue or is this just a blanket statement.

    Nah, not buying another head unit as this unit works for me, especially the turn by turn. Besides, I've read it's having issues with newer units, too, so not chancing it (some have issues, some don't). Like I said before, I'd sell this PM and use the price of a new unit to just get a crank/PM that have proven to work consistently. It would be money better spent. When you loose confidence in something, it's not an easy thing to get back. I'm sure you've lost confidence in something in your life time and had to decide whether to continue or cut your losses. I'm still pondering what to do.

    Read if you wish and these are just a couple samples:

    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into...000-aa/149376-

    https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into...r-meter-drops=
    I owned a gen 1, and I own a current gen. I've run Garmin edge 500, 510, 520, and Wahoo Bolt with Stages powermeters. I know a guy who had a problem with his gen 1 and got a phone call back from the owner on a Sunday the day of his race.

    If you've "lost confidence" in it then by all means buy another powermeter. There are plenty of other good ones, I've got a Quarq as well as a FSA Powerbox on different bikes right now. You'll probably be happy with them. But if I were you I'd replace the Edge 800 with a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. You still get turn by turn if you get lost easily, and you get a much better unit all the way around. They're cheaper, and I haven't heard that they have weird problems with powermeters like your Garmin does apparently. But if you haven't "lost confidence" with your Garmin then keep using it, because apparently that's the biggest factor in your decision making.

    You're also welcome to ignore my contributions. Or not.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I just visited Stages website and found that they have a 3rd generation PM. I checked the box and realize they sent me the newer 3rd generation PM. They claim that it's Ant+/Bluetooth has 6x improvement of data transmission strength. Uhmmmm.

    Finx, Matador, where do you'll have your Wahoo computer mounted?
    They come with an out front mount as well as a couple auxilary mounts.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Matador-IV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    289
    I don't have experience with Garmin gps. The Bolt turn by turn has been good for me. I use it a lot actually. I use "Ridewithgps" app to build,modify,copy routes which is paired with my Wahoo Bolt.

    Mine is mounted out front of the stem, with the provided Wahoo mount. It will still pair when off the bike 6-10ft.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    I just visited Stages website and found that they have a 3rd generation PM. I checked the box and realize they sent me the newer 3rd generation PM. They claim that it's Ant+/Bluetooth has 6x improvement of data transmission strength. Uhmmmm.

    Finx, Matador, where do you'll have your Wahoo computer mounted?
    My Bolt is mounted with the standard (included) Aero out front style mount. Directly out in front of my stem.

    I'm pretty sure all of my Stages PM's are Gen2. I might have a Gen3 on my newest one (I'm not sure how to check). All I know is that they have all worked flawlessly (since the initial RMA), including in pouring rain here in the soggy pacific northwest.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133
    Thanks everyone for your input. I did quite a bit of research on the Wahoo units the last day or so and decided to go with the Wahoo Bolt, so I probably will give the Stages PM another try since all of you have not had any issues with the 2 together. I just refused to give Garmin another $5-600 for a head unit. I got a discount on the Wahoo and found that what it offers is perfect for me.

    Finx, the Gen3 has an led light on the battery/sensor area to let you know it's on and to provide battery life.

    https://support.stagescycling.com/en...es-power-meter

    Again, thanks for chiming in.
    Last edited by Methodical; 04-18-2018 at 09:34 AM.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Finx, the Gen3 has an led light on the battery/sensor area to let you know it's on and to provide battery life..
    Ahh, well then mine are all Gen2. I don't got no fancy LED's on mine

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. I did quite a bit of research on the Wahoo units the last day or so and decided to go with the Wahoo Bolt, so I probably will give the Stages PM another try since all of you have not had any issues with the 2 together. I just refused to give Garmin another $5-600 for a head unit. I got a discount on the Wahoo and found that what it offers is perfect for me.

    Finx, the Gen3 has an led light on the battery/sensor area to let you know it's on and to provide battery life.

    https://support.stagescycling.com/en...es-power-meter

    Again, thanks for chiming in.
    Kick ass. I think you'll enjoy both.

  22. #22
    Team Tom's
    Reputation: MaddSkillz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,880
    I have a bolt and a Stages power meter. I've only had one good ride with power. Now, the power meter drops within the first few minutes of riding. When I go into the Bolt sensors the power meter sensor has dots by it like it's trying to detect it. The power meter works fine with my phone even further away than my Bolt because I use my phone for TrainerRoad workouts. I also had the Garmin 800 for a couple of years and the Stages for one of those years. It never dropped out. So far, everything is pointing to the Bolt as the problem. It's really frustrating.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133
    Maddsillz, I feel your pain. I wish I had your luck with the 800. One thing for sure there seems to be no sure fire thing when it comes to PM and these computers - many things can affect them it seems.

    Question to those with the Wahoo computer, how do you get it to recognize the Garmin HR monitor?

    Thanks...

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    133
    Thanks for the input Masont. When you say you own the current generation PM are you referring to the Gen3 version?

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    298
    Useful info for Stages users.

    Apparently the Gen3 has a much more powerful signal (6x according to the video)


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. To Power Meter or not to Power Meter...
    By OVRLOK in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-15-2017, 09:40 AM
  2. Stages or Power Tap Power Meter?
    By knezz in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 02:11 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-02-2014, 09:12 PM
  4. Sky to use Stages Power Meter
    By rubbersoul in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-19-2014, 10:58 AM
  5. Train with power meter = race with power meter?
    By obiwan kenobi in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.