Stan's tubeless road tires DIY?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

Stan's tubeless road tires DIY?

Many have made their mtb tires tubeless with a Stan's type DIY (do it yourself).
    Anyone try it with road wheels? If so, what parts are you using for the conversion?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bikewriter; 03-07-2004 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling error

May 2002
    Too dangerous to try with road pressures.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Interesting. I've read on the newsgroups of several riders using them for months on end with no problems.

Compulsive bike builder

I asked Stan

His take was you could do it, but you needed to use more tape and there was no weight advantage. One of the biggest advantages of tubeless - low pressure - does not apply to road bikes.

Mavic is proposing a UST road equivalent. Ksyriums have very UST-like rims. The outer wall is not drilled through for spokes.

Stan is planning to make his lightweight MTB hubs in a road version. His relatively wide mtb rims come in around 365, perhaps the road version will be lighter. His MTB rims still require a rimstrip to run tubeless, but they are called tubeless because they are designed for his strips and the hook of the rim creates an especially good seal with the tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, obviously I couldn't care less about low psi in the road version (I found out today a road tire can withstand TWICE as much psi that the sidewall recommends as the maximum). My only desire is for flat prevention. As for the weight savings, that point is moot, too.

Compulsive bike builder

Then I think you are OK

If flat protection is what you are looking for, I think you are OK, but I have questions about how well the sealant will work at high pressure, how much you net, etc. Stan is a very responsive guy and I am sure he has tried his system on road bikes. Ask him via the email link at www.notubes.com, and let me know what you find out.

May 2002
    I still think it's far too dangerous. Even at reasonable pressures MTB tires are known to blow off occasionally when using sealant combined with a normal tire. The fact that an outer tire may withstand double the recommended pressure doesn't assure it will perform properly without an inner tube or that the beads will hold up.

Of course you're free to try whatever you wish. Just keep in mind that you're planning to use a tire far outside its design limits at 100psi or higher and probably at high speeds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another way to look at it....

I tried Stans two seasons ago on my MTB and didn't have great luck... too many sharp rocks around my parts which put cuts in the tires that the sealant wouldn't seal. But my experience with trying to get the tires to seal leads me to two conclusions:

1. MTB tires seal punctures best at moderate (for MTB tires) pressures. At 60 or 70 lbs in a MTB tire, there's too much pressure and the air pressure will just force the sealant through the hole... a mini gyser if you will. When pressures drop to below 40, the force of the air through the hole isn't so great and the hole has a better chance of sealing (though in my case I still had trouble). This observation doesn't bode well for road use, because by the time you are down to 40 lbs, you are as good as flat.

2. It takes a while for a puncture to seal, even once pressure is in the right range. Could be 30-120 seconds of intermittent spewing for a more difficult hole. Not as troubling on a MTB tire where you've got the advantage of air volume, but with a road tire, you don't have a great deal of volume to work with. 30 seconds of spewing and you are flat for sure.

Me, I don't think it'd work and I think the hassle of trying to get the sealant goo off of my hands and tires and rims would be worse than the potential benefit. But I've tried Stans and you haven't, so give it a go and tell us whether it works.