steer tube?

Thread: steer tube?

Feb 2006

steer tube?

So, I bought a frame and I'm building my bike up, but I have a few questions. I bought a Kona Kula 2-9er mountain bike, and i'm building it from the frame. My question is this, I bought a Rock Shox Reba suspension fork but I don't know the proper way to size the steer tube (how much to cut it...).
    I'll be doing all the building on my own (I used to work in a shop, now i have most the tools but the ones i don't my LBS is letting me use for $10 an hour) but I never had to cut a steer tube to a length for me... I know how to cut them and all that no problem though. I know this isn't a guess work job.. thanks guys

Number 2 on the course.
    Set the bike up without cutting the steerer or inserting the star-nut. With the bike near complete, it will be much easier to determine how long the steerer will need to be to accomodate your headset, HT, desired # of spacers & stem.

Two wheels=freedom!
    Sep 2003
    After you set up the bike, you should leave the steerer long and use a ton of spacers above and below. Then you can ride, and fine tune your stack height. After you are all comfy with your position, cut the steerer a tad long, (like 1mm above the stem) and leave one small spacer (2.5mm or so) on top of the stem. You want to leave the steerer long so that when you tighten the stem to it, you are using the whole clamping surface of the stem on the steerer.

duh...
    if you've never done it and don't know how, why not just have your buds at the shop do it? or at least give you a tutorial while they do it?

Feb 2006
    thanks guys, i talked to my boss and he said the same thing.
    FatTire, I know how to cut it, just didn't know how to size it. I've cut tons of steer tubes, but i've always had the old one to measure and just cut the new one to the same length. I just wasn't sure of the "proceedure" of getting the right length
    again, I get it now and it makes perfect sense. Thanks guys.