Stem Length...New Excel Sports Catalog
    scruffy nerf herder

Stem Length...New Excel Sports Catalog

Man, looking at the tall CA rider on the cover on the KG486... and saw that stem... jesus that thing is probably six to seven inches long... are these things available, custom, or even recommended... especially for a carbon freaking steerer that is on that fork. I mean, I may be wrong, but it seems the laws of physics and component failure are being stretched there...

Just curious if you all saw the same thing?

Plus... why do you think this guy... CA supposedly... having DA 10, and a fat look 486... a $5K build is riding those 7701 wheels? I would expect with the DA build that they would ride the 7800s at minimum... a difference of nearly 100g on the rear alone and 60+ g on the front....

weird.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

Cipo's long lost cousin

That guy

Is Christophe Moreau. That stem makes my back ache just looking at it!
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

scruffy nerf herder

question still was not answered...

1. are custom length stems available like that.. .that is a lot longer than a 130.

2. Are longer threadless stems like the one above dangerous to carbon steerers?

3. Why on earth would Credit Agricole using those wheels on a mtn stage when they are running DA on the rest of the bike... weird.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

Wheels - probably he has to use them

Don't know about the stem issue. As to wheels, it's probably because his team has a sponsorship deal and he has to use them. Although, one sometimes hears stories about how star riders use what they want and try not to attract attention to it or put sponsor stickers on another's product. For example, look at pictures of Ulrich from last year's Tour. I think he was riding on some super pricey ADA deep dish wheels (with no stickers) and I think his team was sponsored by Campy.

As to the stem, I bet it's just a 140 and looks long because of no spacers -- but maybe I'm wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    yeah buddy, I noticed exactly the same things you did. Regarding the wheels, my best guess is that maybe this was an early season race and Shimano hadn't shipped C/A the new 7800 wheels. Can't imagine Moreau prefering the 7701 over 7800.