Stuck threadless stem

Printable View

• 08-05-2019
    FreeRojo
    1 Attachment(s)
    Stuck threadless stem
    Hi, I have this older Dia compe stem that has apparently, an internal wedge or compression thingy that wonít release the steerer tube. I donít care about the stem as I am replacing it. Anyone have any method to release this stem?Attachment 325647
  • 08-05-2019
    Peter P.
    If you don't care about the stem, then start drilling through the black bolt with progessively larger bits until there's nothing left.
  • 08-05-2019
    velodog
    Is something stripped and just spinning or stuck and won't budge?
  • 08-06-2019
    202cycle
    A picture would be good, but in many cases with expanding wedges, you need to loosen the bolt a few turns then tap it. This should free things up.
  • 08-06-2019
    JerryLook
    ^This is what I did to a stuck stem on a Trek I was working on. The bike had been sitting at a house by the beach for years. The cover that is supposed to be over the stem bolt was long gone.

I loosened the wedge bolt, and leaving the Allen socket on I gave it a few good whacks with a mallet. It loosened right up.
  • 08-06-2019
    duriel
    You should look at the picture, I never seen a stem like that before.
  • 08-06-2019
    JerryLook
    Eek. I didnít see the pic the first time. Disregard what I said.

Probably CX has seen one of these before and will chime in.
  • 08-06-2019
    Bremerradkurier
    Dremel cut two slots at 3pm and 9pm, whack stem just ahead of the steerer tube-should shear right off assuming the aluminum stem hasn't galvanized to the steel steerer tube.