stumped... Chain jumps on 11T rear cog...
    RoadBikeReview Member

stumped... Chain jumps on 11T rear cog...

I have two cassettes I run on two different wheels, 11-23 and a 12-25

If I use the wheels with the 12-25 the bike runs perfect. If I put my wheels on with the 11-23 I noticed that the chain starts to jump on the 11T cog and the 53T front chain ring under load.

If I upshift the 11-23 to the next cog up, the bike runs fine. I do not believe it is a cable tension issue. Could it be the H and L settings are off? But it runs perfectly run with my 12-25 cassette... I'm stumped. I checked for a stuck link on the chain as well and found none... I have also swapped the cassettes between the two wheels and the 11-23 cassette skips each time. Both cassettes are practically brand new with less than 200 kms on them. They are shimano 10 spd ultegra cassettes. I'm using ultegra STIs and ultegra rear derailer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 2006
    that happened with my 'cross bike awhile back.

sadly, i totally forgot how i fixed it.

if i think of it, ill chime in, but it was something stupid/easy, iirc

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2003

Lockring?

Just a thought, it happened to me once. The lockring on the 12 tooth cassette is bigger than the lockring on the 11 tooth cassette. When swapping cassettes I grabbed the 12T lockring and mounted it on the 11T cassette. The chain runs on the lockring instead of the smallest sprocket and skips. Took me a while to find that one.

Michael
    ----------------------------
    Ride, rinse, repeat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sitzpickel
    Just a thought, it happened to me once. The lockring on the 12 tooth cassette is bigger than the lockring on the 11 tooth cassette. When swapping cassettes I grabbed the 12T lockring and mounted it on the 11T cassette. The chain runs on the lockring instead of the smallest sprocket and skips. Took me a while to find that one.

Michael
    ----------------------------
    Ride, rinse, repeat.
    You are an absolute genius!!!!! I didn't even know there was a difference. Sure enough when I had a closer look at the lock rings one of them said 11T on in, where as the other one didn't. I immediately swapped the lock rings over and the problem is fixed!

I owe you a beer if I ever see you in person