Swapping out Freehub on Xero Maravilloso race wheel
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020

Swapping out Freehub on Xero Maravilloso race wheel

Hi folks,

I have changed bikes and as a result moving from Campy to SRAM. I have a spare wheel that I use on the trainer, it's a Xero Maravilloso Race Wheel with a Campy Freehub. I have taken it off and wondering what Shimano/SRAM Freehub would work. It's looks like a typical 3 pawl version that you see with DT Swiss or something similar but wanted to see if anyone out there could confirm. I have attached some pics of the campy one.

Thank you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    11 speed? Don't bother changing it, just use it. It'll work fine. Once we hit 11 speed the spacing from SRAM/Shimano and Campy are functionally the same.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Thanks cxwrench. I have moved to a 10 speed SRAM setup unfortunately 😕 the bike is a few years old.

Try it anyway...might work fine.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Try it anyway...might work fine.
    Pardon my ignorance, do you mean try the 10 speed campy cassette/wheel with my SRAM equipped bike?

Banned Sock Puppet
    11 speed? Don't bother changing it, just use it. It'll work fine. Once we hit 11 speed the spacing from SRAM/Shimano and Campy are functionally the same.
    What?? You mean Shimano/SRAM and Campy are compatible now??
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Quote Originally Posted by tinof View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, do you mean try the 10 speed campy cassette/wheel with my SRAM equipped bike?
    Yes. If there is some wear on the derailleur, cassette, and chain it may just shift fine. 8 speed, no...9 speed, no...10 speed spacing is very close between Shimano/SRAM and Campy. Worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    What?? You mean Shimano/SRAM and Campy are compatible now??
    When we hit 11 speed they became basically the same spacing. There's only so much room back there and it's ended up working well every time I've tried it. Seems to be common knowledge.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    When we hit 11 speed they became basically the same spacing. There's only so much room back there and it's ended up working well every time I've tried it. Seems to be common knowledge.
    Interesting. So that means when I get tired of changing my Shimano shifter cable every 1000 miles or so, I could swap a set of Campy Centaur or new/old stock Chorus shifters and derailleurs?

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Interesting. So that means when I get tired of changing my Shimano shifter cable every 1000 miles or so, I could swap a set of Campy Centaur or new/old stock Chorus shifters and derailleurs?
    Pretty much, yes. You'd have to change a lot of cables to reach the break-even point, but it should work fine.
    #promechaniclife

Banned Sock Puppet
    Pretty much, yes. You'd have to change a lot of cables to reach the break-even point, but it should work fine.
    You have a point there re: break-even point. It's more the annoyance of having to do it so often. I'm actually going to try those Alligator 31 strand flexible cables and see if I get more life out of those before I take the plunge and go Campy or SRAM.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Yes. If there is some wear on the derailleur, cassette, and chain it may just shift fine. 8 speed, no...9 speed, no...10 speed spacing is very close between Shimano/SRAM and Campy. Worth a try.

So tried it out. The first 7 COGS started with the largest work just fine. Then shifting to the 3 last smaller cogs required 2 shifts each move it down. Or I could just be doing it wrong, this is my first time with SRAM double tap, man I'm missing my campy setup - not used to double tap!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    So another update, looks like this happens with my SRAM cassette as well, I think I need to tune the rear derailleur then?

Well, you need to diagnose your problem, for sure. It might be the derailleur, it might have nothing to do w/ it.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Well, you need to diagnose your problem, for sure. It might be the derailleur, it might have nothing to do w/ it.
    Thanks cx, figured it out (i think), when I am shifting down the cassette (up in gears I guess ) the cable doesnt loosen enough for the derailleur to change. If i tug on the cable that runs on the underside of the bottom it does change - so I know its not the derailleur spring.....so is it just cable friction or could it be an issue with the shifter itself?? Is this common?

Banned Sock Puppet
    Thanks cx, figured it out (i think), when I am shifting down the cassette (up in gears I guess ) the cable doesnt loosen enough for the derailleur to change. If i tug on the cable that runs on the underside of the bottom it does change - so I know its not the derailleur spring.....so is it just cable friction or could it be an issue with the shifter itself?? Is this common?
    Ahhhh. When was the last time you changed your cables and housings?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Ahhhh. When was the last time you changed your cables and housings?
    Probably never - i just purchased this bike used, its a 2013. How often should you change cables and housing?

Banned Sock Puppet
    Probably never - i just purchased this bike used, its a 2013. How often should you change cables and housing?
    How often? Well definitely more often than every 7 years.

Do your cables feel rough? If so, get off the 'puter and change your cables and housings NOW. Make sure you use good quality stainless steel cables, not the cheaper galvanized cables which will oxidize and become rough very quickly. Rough cables cause friction. Friction causes poor shifting.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.