Tamper Resistant Fasteners
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Tamper Resistant Fasteners

Robin just picked up a new city bike.

Her view is that yes, eventually it will get stolen but in the mean time, let's discourage the fiends. We left the shop with PinHead locks for the wheels But nothing for the seat, handlebar, etc.

I'd rather not go with the obvious snake-eye, pin-in-torx, etc. It's ridiculously easy for any one to buy bits for those. I expect that the jerks jerking bikes have them on their key ring.

These guys look interesting but I haven't contacted them about buying bits yet,

https://www.brycefastener.com/

Which tamper resistant (proof?) hardware do you recommend?

[REDACTED]
    LIke anything else, a deterrent is just that. You want to be a hard target, not an easy target. If someone really wants your bike, it's theirs. But most thieves would rather take an easy target. It's all about decreasing your odds.

The best deterrent is to park next to an expensive high end bike.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Adorable Furry Hombre
    The problem with hard to buy bits....What do you do when that security-bit company goes bust or stops making them and you lost/broke your bits?\

Someone wants your bike in whole or in part--they're just going to steal it anyway. Just need a pair of hydraulic snips--then they can fuss cutting the security screws off later.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Russian Troll Farmer
    Tack-welding is pretty theft-resistant.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    The problem with hard to buy bits....What do you do when that security-bit company goes bust or stops making them and you lost/broke your bits?\
    Dremel it.

Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Her view is that yes, eventually it will get stolen but in the mean time, let's discourage the fiends.
    And a lot of this kind of theft happens just because it's so easy to do and there's almost zero probability of a bad outcome. Make it just a little harder and your seat may still be there when you come back.

Of course the lovely people who do this kind of thing may slash it and your tires as a way of expressing their appreciation of your attention to minor details but at least they didn't profit from their dickishness.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Yup, or use a center punch to rotate it.

Or a center punch to create starting points to create a snake-eye.

Or use an EasyOut.

Lots of ways to remove these suckers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Of course. Like I said in the OP, the assumption is that it will get stolen.

People bash out windows just to rummage around in your ash tray looking for spare change.

The point is that there's always some rocket surgeon with an 5mm hex key on his key ring who'll yank your seat just because. But when your bolt rejects his hex key, his torx, his 'security torx', and the three other things on his ring? Well, he probably slashes your seat, stomps your spokes, and moves on. And you can bathe in the warm glow of satisfaction that comes from heroically defending your castle :-)

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by slow.climber View Post
    People bash out windows just to rummage around in your ash tray looking for spare change.
    Reminds me of the days when people who parked cars on NYC streets had signs in their window that said "No Radio". There was a story (not sure if true) where the thief broke the car window anyway and wrote on that sign "Get one".
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by slow.climber View Post
    And a lot of this kind of theft happens just because it's so easy to do and there's almost zero probability of a bad outcome. Make it just a little harder and your seat may still be there when you come back.

Of course the lovely people who do this kind of thing may slash it and your tires as a way of expressing their appreciation of your attention to minor details but at least they didn't profit from their dickishness.
    Most bike thefts are ride offs, not parts thefts. The more time the thief has to spend going around deterrents, the greater the risk of being caught. Risk vs. return.

There was an incident where a guy with a beater bike went to a high end shop where people with expensive bikes hang out. He rode up, left his beater behind and rode off with a $10K bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    There was an incident where a guy with a beater bike went to a high end shop where people with expensive bikes hang out. He rode up, left his beater behind and rode off with a $10K bike.
    I guess he calls it "bike swap meet".

I know a guy whose beater bike go stolen a few years ago. Nothing is safe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I'm sure that you're right. Most ripoffs probably are ride-offs.

OTOH, for the cost of a couple of bolts...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I had a bike from NYC in the shop last year. My customers mechanic up there pounded ball bearings in to all the bolt heads to theft proof the parts. Kinda makes it difficult to work on the bike when you can't loosen any of the bolts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Pitlock has been around for a long time if you're looking for theft resistant bolts.

Russian Troll Farmer
    The people who steal your seat, front wheel, or frame pump aren't 'bike thieves', they are just opportunistic general thieves. I'd doubt any of these carry any bike-specific tools. A true bike thief wants the entire bike.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"