Are these hub bodies interchangeable?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020

Question Are these hub bodies interchangeable?

Hi folks,

I think the answer is probably no however wanted to make sure before I go out and get all the tools for this. I have a Shimano RS11 Rear Wheel that I am going to use as a trainer for my wheel-on smart trainer. I have a Campy equipped bike that I am going to be training with. Someone gave me a PowerTap Campy Hub and want to see if I can swap the Shimano hub out for the Campy one.

I have attached pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Not going to work. You'll need to get a Powertap Shimano freehub body.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tinof View Post
    Hi folks,

I think the answer is probably no however wanted to make sure before I go out and get all the tools for this. I have a Shimano RS11 Rear Wheel that I am going to use as a trainer for my wheel-on smart trainer. I have a Campy equipped bike that I am going to be training with. Someone gave me a PowerTap Campy Hub and want to see if I can swap the Shimano hub out for the Campy one.

I have attached pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone.
    I have no specific information about these particular hubs. You don't even give a model name for the Campy hub. But I can say, without fear of contradiction, that there is virtually no chance that these freehubs are interchangeable. No chance. The only way you can "swap" these hubs is to de-spoke the wheels and rebuild them with the different hubs (and probably new spokes because the lengths would be different).

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi folks,

Impossible to tell from looking at pictures. But likely 99.9999% no.

The Freehub bearings, ratchet mechanism/pawls, seals have to match the hub. Every Tom, Dick, & Harry have their own ratchet/bearing/seal design.
    The last pic is a Shimano freehub. I assume the RS11 is the same

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    I agree, thanks Kerry for the reply. I dont have a model number for the Campy Hub - the packaging simply states Powertap Campagnolo 15mm 11Sp Alloy G3 Freehub Body

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Impossible to tell from looking at pictures. But likely 99.9999% no.

The Freehub bearings, ratchet mechanism/pawls, seals have to match the hub. Every Tom, Dick, & Harry have their own ratchet/bearing/seal design.
    The last pic is a Shimano freehub. I assume the RS11 is the same

Thanks for the detailed response tlg - really appreciate the time. I am just going to sell the wheel and get a campy hub equipped wheel for my trainer. Enough with trying to toy around

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thought 11 speed cog spacing was the same for Shimano and Campy - if so you cant you run that wheel with a Shimano cassette and your Campy bike?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I thought 11 speed cog spacing was the same for Shimano and Campy - if so you cant you run that wheel with a Shimano cassette and your Campy bike?
    His bike is 10sp Campy

Different thread
    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ca...te-372357.html
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the detailed response tlg - really appreciate the time. I am just going to sell the wheel and get a campy hub equipped wheel for my trainer. Enough with trying to toy around

Try the shimano one first. It may shift good enough for trainer use. A friend of mine was given a shimano 10 speed wheel (this was years ago when there was no 11) by race support when his campy wheel died mid-race and he said it worked good enough to get by the rest of the race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    His bike is 10sp Campy

Different thread
    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ca...te-372357.html
    Thanks Shrode,

Yes, tlg has been gracious enough to help me in multiple threads - thank you tlg! Perhaps I need to work on effective forum etiquette

So I do have another one then. I found a cheap set of Xero Maravilloso wheels with campy hub and installed is a 9sp cassette - I guess my new question is, will my 10sp setup work with a 9sp cassette and I simply dont use the "10th speed" on the shifter? I did some research and the "10 speed" chain should be OK but I am guessing that the pull ratio of the shifter will be problematic?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks Shrode,

Yes, tlg has been gracious enough to help me in multiple threads - thank you tlg! Perhaps I need to work on effective forum etiquette

So I do have another one then. I found a cheap set of Xero Maravilloso wheels with campy hub and installed is a 9sp cassette - I guess my new question is, will my 10sp setup work with a 9sp cassette and I simply dont use the "10th speed" on the shifter? I did some research and the "10 speed" chain should be OK but I am guessing that the pull ratio of the shifter will be problematic?
    Yea the pull ratio/cog spacing would be problematic.

I'm not a Campy expert but I believe Campy cassettes use the same hub.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Sup...speed_groupset
    CAN CAMPAGNOLO WHEELS WITH A 9/10 SPEED FW BODY ALSO BE USED WITH AN 11/12 SPEED GROUPSET?
    Yes, it is certainly possible. The Campagnolo FW body was not changed and is compatible with the 9/10/11/12 speed groupsets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    The distance from the smallest to larges cog is the same for 9s and 10s. So the spacing is off. You could set things up so that they would work "OK" over some range of the cassette but it would not work well at all over the whole range. It would take 9 clicks of the shifter to move the chain from being centered on the smallest cog to being centered on the largest cog, but there are only 8 "shifts" needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    The distance from the smallest to larges cog is the same for 9s and 10s. So the spacing is off. You could set things up so that they would work "OK" over some range of the cassette but it would not work well at all over the whole range. It would take 9 clicks of the shifter to move the chain from being centered on the smallest cog to being centered on the largest cog, but there are only 8 "shifts" needed.
    Thank you Kerry, really appreciate the response!