Are theses pads for carbon rims?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

Are theses pads for carbon rims?

I just picked up a aset of KCNC brakes and it comes with 2 sets of pads, one for carbon rims & one for alloy rims, but I'm not sure which is which. One set is identcal to those pictured in the link and the other set is a brown/multicolored pad shaped like the alloy pads on my current brakes.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-c7-ro...et-p-2639.html

2016 Cannondale Supersix EVO HiMod, Ti Seven CX, Ti Seven Singlespeed, 2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO HiMod,

Adventure Seeker
    I'd contact the retailer of the brakes. I checked out the manufacturer's site, but they don't list sets of pads.
    To me, the red ones in the link look like ones for alloy, but I could be wrong.
    I have a single track mind

banned
    Nov 2001
    The kcnc brakes are fine-- the pads they include, in no uncertain terms- SUCK and will cut down on your stopping ability no matter what brakes you use.

If you're using alloy rims, dura-ace 7900 pads, swissstop black or green are outstanding
    For carbon rims, do yourself a favor and splurge on the swissstop yellow pads.

Some people like kool stop pads, with which I had a horrible time, I won't recommend them, but they are cheaper. The ones I listed above I've used and I'm quite happy with their performance (and I use kcnc brakes).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    My Kool-stop Carbon pads were chunking after less than an hour's riding and squealing louder than a garbage truck the whole time. Worst brake pads ever.

Be aware that not all carbon rims use the same kind of pads. Cork pads work great on some, while on other they will void the warranty. Check with your carbon rim manufacturer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    [QUOTE=Mdeth1313]

For carbon rims, do yourself a favor and splurge on the swissstop yellow pads.

I agree 100%. I just picked up a used bike that had Bontrager XXX carbon wheels with the Bontrager cork pads. After a scary encounter with a car that pulled out in front of me I realized I need some new pads. I will admit that the cork pads were a little worn down but I decided to try a set of Swissstop yellow pads and they made a world of difference. At $50 they are not cheap but stopping does seem rather important at times.