Thinking about upgrading to some lighter parts. Thoughts?
    RoadBikeReview Member

So I'm totally addicted! I've only had my new bike for about a month and a half, but lately I've been totally obsessed with wanting to upgrade some parts for lighter ones. It's probably a silly thought, but always like to know what I could do if I choose too.

My ride is a 12' Masi Evoluzione Apex. It's a great entry level carbon bike and I love it. However, I think that I can make it lighter; she weighs in at around 18.5lbs. Originally I was thinking of getting a lighter crank, and wheels, and by doing so, dropping about 2 lbs.

What are some of your thoughts on upgrading to lighter parts, and are the benefits going to be noticeable?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Chive On!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Getting lighter parts and upgrading can be fun, enjoyable...and expensive. It will make no noticeable difference in performance, and barely any measurable difference.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    you're right, 2 lbs isn't even 1kg, you probably won't notice. once your bike is below 8.5kg it will feel very light and difference below that weight are hard to notice when riding. personally, you're better off frequently upgrading/renewing cassette, chain and less frequently chain set for a better ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPoser View Post
    So I'm totally addicted! I've only had my new bike for about a month and a half, but lately I've been totally obsessed with wanting to upgrade some parts for lighter ones. It's probably a silly thought, but always like to know what I could do if I choose too.

My ride is a 12' Masi Evoluzione Apex. It's a great entry level carbon bike and I love it. However, I think that I can make it lighter; she weighs in at around 18.5lbs. Originally I was thinking of getting a lighter crank, and wheels, and by doing so, dropping about 2 lbs.

What are some of your thoughts on upgrading to lighter parts, and are the benefits going to be noticeable?
    On the flats 2 lbs. would make zero difference. The bike will FEEL more responsive but it won't be faster in any measureable way. If you were climbing a 6% grade at 250 watts you would save about a minute an hour but cutting 2 lbs. off your bike (or body).

RoadBikeReview Member
    A lighter bike is easier to carry up a set of stairs.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Make sure you have really good tires, sized and inflated appropriately for your weight. Make sure you have a good saddle (definition of that is one that's comfy). Anything else is just an exercise in spending.

RoadBikeReview Member

Below is something i wrote some time ago concerning bike weight. It's not meant to change anyone's decision about upgrading their bike. Just my real world experience.

"I totally got obsessed with my bikes weight shortly after I started riding. Taking off two pounds with a wheel set, another pound and a half with the group set, a few ounces with the pedals, bars etc. After spending way too much money I probably have the most over built Giant Defy Advanced in the world. Just less than fifteen pounds dry, sixteen pounds two ounces with pedals, cages and computer, just less than twenty pounds with all my gear on it and ready to ride with two bottles. Has it made me any faster? My average speed gain over the last year and 4000+ miles is .8 MPH. And most of the overall improvement has come from training IMO. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done if different. Hard for me to say it but I just had too."

Now it's been quite a while since I wrote this and while I like my bike very much I would attribute 90% of my gains over the last year to diet and training. I'm not trying to discourage you from upgrades because each one seemed to give me some motivation. It was like I must get better because I spent the money on this or that. What I realize now is, diet and training are the most important areas for me. Will I upgrade again? No doubt. Will it make me better? Probably not.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and enjoy the process. It's fun to get new parts. Enjoy the road my friend and keep rolling Most of all, have fun out there.
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campy Chorus 11 speed.
    2013 Giant Defy Advanced SL. Ultegra DI2 11 speed.

Pain Is Gain
    Quote Originally Posted by willieboy View Post
    Will I upgrade again? No doubt. Will it make me better? Probably not.
    co-signed.

consider pursuit of weight savings/upgraditis a side hobby to your biking hobby, nothing more than that. it will make you feel better, and perhaps ride harder and more often due to psychological effects of installing your shiny new purchase.

in terms of performance improvements, I see it as 90% marketing, 8% psychological effect and 2% actual gains.
    There is a voice calling for me,
    There is a season waiting for me,
    There is a rain falling only on me...