For Those Using 12-speed Road Already... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Matnlely Dregaend
    I did some more digging into this trying to figure out if I can use this group to Everest, here are a few things not mentioned yet about 12 speed that disappointed me:

1) NO Ti SR chainset
    2) The subcompact is only available in Chorus, not SR or Record
    3) The cassette choices make no sense. They are identical to cog 19, skipping 18, meaning none have the 8 sprocket straight block that's available in 10 and 11 speed. Even with a 48 tooth big ring, you'd have the equivalent of an 18 but no 19, which is the only cog I need more than an 18 in the big ring... You might as well go for the 11-34 since there is no real difference in all but the bailout gears.

Campy would have done better offering the 11-29 (including an 18 and spacing out the bailouts), 11-34, and a 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-22-25-29-34 cassette. I would buy the groupset just for those cassette options.

Here's hoping that they come to their senses soon.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

A Story of Love
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    I did some more digging into this trying to figure out if I can use this group to Everest, here are a few things not mentioned yet about 12 speed that disappointed me:

1) NO Ti SR chainset
    2) The subcompact is only available in Chorus, not SR or Record
    Yup, disappointing... though I'd guess that the Chorus 48/32 subcompact is a trial balloon – if it proves popular, it'll go to the other groups.

3) The cassette choices make no sense. They are identical to cog 19, skipping 18, meaning none have the 8 sprocket straight block that's available in 10 and 11 speed.

Even with a 48 tooth big ring, you'd have the equivalent of an 18 but no 19, which is the only cog I need more than an 18 in the big ring... You might as well go for the 11-34 since there is no real difference in all but the bailout gears.

Campy would have done better offering the 11-29 (including an 18 and spacing out the bailouts), 11-34, and a 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-22-25-29-34 cassette. I would buy the groupset just for those cassette options.

Here's hoping that they come to their senses soon.
    Yeah, the 12-spd road cassettes so far from Campy and SRAM are a bit of a mess.

Most of 'em seem designed around the idea that EVERYONE wants the following:

1) An 11t cog (or in SRAM's case, 10t (!))
    2) Small jumps across all of the climbing gears
    3) Mega-range (or close), aka a very low bailout/bottom gear

Which is great for the ppl who fit that profile. Problem is, not everyone does... not even close in fact. And, to get that alleged ‘ideal’ cassette above... well, the 18t cog, and maybe even the 16t, must be sacrificed.

BUT, there are LOTS of ppl who'd rather have an 18t than an 11t (much less a 10t... sorry, SRAM), and/or who’d give up that mega-low bottom gear ('cuz they don't live near any ginormous hills), or the small jumps across all climbing gears, in order to get that 18t cog.

Because that 18t is an EXCELLENT cruising gear for many ppl, and they find that they're in it FAR more often than the 11t, 10t, or the mega-low bailout gear.

Easy to see, yes? But not for Campy or SRAM somehow.

Of course, this could all be solved by Campy and SRAM offering MORE CHOICES in their cassette lineups... but they seem to have not gotten that particular memo either. Go figure.

Here's hoping that Shimano doesn't blow it in similar fashion when they go 12-spd road. Which we'll likely hear about in the fall.

Last edited by SystemShock; 05-14-2020 at 08:55 PM.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did — peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

What the what???
    Yep. And even if a made-to-order cassette isn't feasible, maybe just more ranges/options. Personally, I have no need for 10, 11 or even a 12t cog. My ideal cassette could start with 14 and go up from there. I don't have huge hills, but a bailout gear does sometimes come in handy with midwestern headwinds.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

Matnlely Dregaend
    PBK had a deal I couldn't pass up ($750 for the SR upgrade package, shifters, FD and RD) so now I'm just waiting for the right cassette... Please add to the choices Campagnolo!

Holding the components in your hand I have to say they appear kind of... cheap. No carbon weave like the older components, and the feel and look is very plastic fantastic. The downgrade to a Veloce level mounting bolt on the braze-on FD seems inexcusable. Thank god I had some proper Ti ones laying around from previous years.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12