Thoughts on Upgrading
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Thoughts on Upgrading

I'm in the process of upgrading my primary bike from 6700 to 6800.

My secondary bike is a Titanium Airborne Torch. It's a beautiful bike, but I rarely use it. I think I took it out twice last season. Partially because the new bike is carbon, and partially because the old one needs a new chain and a new cassette, and in cold weather, the front shifter sticks.

I'm thinking about upgrading the drive train on the Torch. Maybe it would be a waste of money. Maybe it would get me to ride the bike more often.

The current drivetrain is Ultegra 6600 10-speed, 53/39. I just upgraded the new bike to 6800 50/34.

So here are some questions:
    1. Upgrade to 6800 ($570) or Upgrade to 105 5700 ($370)?
    2. Stick with 53/39 so I have one bike with a full-size dinner plate and one compact, or put the 50/34 on there so the bikes match.
    3. Right now, the wheels are brand-new Fulcrum 4s. They won't hold a 11-spd cassette. I also have a pair of Aksiums that will. I've been thinking about aero wheels, so I could get a pair of Mavic Cosmic for around $300.

RoadBikeReview Member
    http://www.amazon.com/Fulcrum-Campag.../dp/B00BNZZ678

That says it works with Fulcrum 4 and takes 11spd. Worth considering over a new set of wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you want the option, check with Fulcrum to see if the freehub body can be swapped on your existing wheels.

As far as the others, it's a matter of your preference. You might run the gearing calculations for various options vs. what you have now. I believe if you go with a 53/39 chainring you'll be limited in the rear cassette largest cog option. Do you want the bikes to run similarly as far as drivetrain - will you use them in the same manner?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Completely incomprehensible question to me. You want to spend a bunch of money replacing mostly working parts with slightly newer ones, on a bike that you almost never ride? To me, that would certainly be a waste of money. Personally, I'd probably sell the bike. If I wanted to keep it as a backup bike, I'd replace the chain and cassette, and fix the sticky shifter (probably a flush-and-lube would do it).

Also, as to qustion 1, how is replacing Ultegra a few years old with new 105 an "upgrade"?

Further question: Why don't you take the parts you pulled off the other bike and put them on the backup bike, if you really want to mess around with it?
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    I think I took it out twice last season. Partially because the new bike is carbon, and partially because the old one needs a new chain and a new cassette, and in cold weather, the front shifter sticks.
    So put on a new chain and cassette, new cables, & clean/lube the shifter. You'll be upgraded.

So here are some questions:
    1. Upgrade to 6800 ($570) or Upgrade to 105 5700 ($370)?
    Why not move the 6700 from your primary bike to this bike?
    2. Stick with 53/39 so I have one bike with a full-size dinner plate and one compact, or put the 50/34 on there so the bikes match.
    Totally a personal decision.
    3. Right now, the wheels are brand-new Fulcrum 4s. They won't hold a 11-spd cassette. I also have a pair of Aksiums that will. I've been thinking about aero wheels, so I could get a pair of Mavic Cosmic for around $300.
    That's not a question.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I've had good success flushing and lubing Shimano 10sp shifters using CRC PowerLube. I got the tip from an LBS owner who has resurrected hundreds of them.

If it were me I'd leave the second bike 10sp. But I'm still on 10sp for all my bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If you have multiple bikes, it make sense to keep the wheels compatible. If your upgrading one to 11S, do the other. No reason to have wheels on one you can't use on the other in a pinch. Do you really need an 11S? If you have the $%$$ do both.
    Otherwise switch the shifter over if you can't fix it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    +1....dang, I am glad I am not the only one who felt this after reading this opening post in this thread

..I cannot see where this person thinks he is "upgrading".

Only thing I can relate to in that post is the question about 53/39 and 50/34. Most people I know go the 50/39 route, just buying a 50T ring and still have the benefit of having a 39 inner. Unless you are climbing uber mountains every day, it is nice to have a 39 paired to a 50. Especially when you're an old fart like me who has lost over the years the ability to turn that 53/19 or 53/17 without cutting substantial years off the remaining years of my goofy life ;-)