Thread Locker question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014

Thread Locker question

I have a one-bolt carbon seatpost. The bolt for the saddle adjustment has thread locker on it. I've been using Prologo saddles now for 10 yrs & have found that with Prologo saddles it takes more time to set it up & multiple adjustments before finally finding sweet spot.

Also I've had a few instances of the saddle slipping & tilting all the way back. I had to really wrench on it to stop that. I've been using this post on what will be the 3 yr mark. I plan on changing to a Shimano Pro saddle with a cut-out.

The question is should I re-apply new thread locker to the seatpost bolt once I have the ideal position dialed in? How long does thread locker last especially if one is doing constant adjustments?
    Attached Images Attached Images

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stan01 View Post
    The question is should I re-apply new thread locker to the seatpost bolt once I have the ideal position dialed in? How long does thread locker last especially if one is doing constant adjustments?
    Yes reapply. It may work a 'little' bit the second time, but not likely enough. It get's brittle and just breaks away and doesn't do anything.
    Assuming you're talking about traditional blue loctite.

There are other types which stay flexible and are reusable. I've never used them, but if it's something you think you'll be adjusting frequently, it may be worth a try.
    https://www.amazon.com/Vibra-TITE-VC.../dp/B008D6GHY6
    https://www.vibra-tite.com/threadloc...-3-threadmate/
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    To reapply traditional locktite, you will have to remove the bolt for reapplication, correct?
    Most seat/seat post angles/installation will not retain their positions while you do this, will yours? If so, perfect. I can never get mine to say in a position once that bolt is removed.
    If not I would just use some medium locktite that is re-adjustable later.
    BANNED

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    To reapply traditional locktite, you will have to remove the bolt for reapplication, correct?
    Not necessarily. It's thin and liquid. If you loosen the bolt and drip some into the threads, it'll wick itself into the threads.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks guys. The post originally came with blue thread locker on it when I built up the bike. But as I said, during the initial set up, I had to make a ton of adjustments until I found the sweet spot.

I'm switching over to a new saddle so once I've find the sweet spot for the new saddle, I'll just write down all the critical numbers & reapply new loctite to the bolt. Not sure but as I've gotten older, the last 10 yrs I've had 3 Prologo saddles. Its a love/hate relationship. Love it at the beginning & middle of the ride but I hate it after that. Just painful at that point for some reason.

I'm hoping that this change will help. I used to be a Selle Italia guy & never had an issue with them. I've still got one but it needs to be re-upholstered. There used to be a member here that did that. I might try to find someone locally to do that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've never used a post like that but I've only used grease and that is what the instructions have said for the one's I've read read them for.

Are you sure you need to be using locktite at all?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    The Bontrager posts that use that terrible clamp need to be torqued to 16nm. Make sure you're getting it tight enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys. The post originally came with blue thread locker on it when I built up the bike. But as I said, during the initial set up, I had to make a ton of adjustments until I found the sweet spot.

I'm switching over to a new saddle so once I've find the sweet spot for the new saddle, I'll just write down all the critical numbers & reapply new loctite to the bolt. Not sure but as I've gotten older, the last 10 yrs I've had 3 Prologo saddles. Its a love/hate relationship. Love it at the beginning & middle of the ride but I hate it after that. Just painful at that point for some reason.

I'm hoping that this change will help. I used to be a Selle Italia guy & never had an issue with them. I've still got one but it needs to be re-upholstered. There used to be a member here that did that. I might try to find someone locally to do that.
    There are only two possible adjustments for the saddle, fwd/aft & tilt. It shouldn't be a guessing game. Once you find the position you like, either mark it on the rail or take some measurements to a fix reference on the frame so you can be spot-on every time.
    Thread locker is only effective until it is disturbed, so it should not dictate what you can/cannot do with the saddle. You may also want to consider some anti-slip between the clamp and the carbon interface if it is rotating.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Thread locker is only effective until it is disturbed, so it should not dictate what you can/cannot do with the saddle.
    This has not been my experience, it will make the rotation of the bolt more difficult without re-application.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I've never used a post like that but I've only used grease and that is what the instructions have said for the one's I've read read them for.

Are you sure you need to be using locktite at all?
    The seat post came with blue thread locker on it from the factory. But I was never sure the thread locker was actually working because it took many adjustments before I got the saddle dialed in. As I recall, it took a week of adjustments. Also you can't use grease with thread locker. This is one of those instances where its one or the other but not both.

Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    The Bontrager posts that use that terrible clamp need to be torqued to 16nm. Make sure you're getting it tight enough.
    Unfortunately its the same design that is used by Specialized & Ritchey also to name a few. Yeah it requires a heavy hand to prevent slippage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    It get's brittle and just breaks away ]
    Stop the apostrophe abuse!

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Stop the apostrophe abuse!
    This smack down brought to you by the letters K and I...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    The seat post came with blue thread locker on it from the factory. But I was never sure the thread locker was actually working because it took many adjustments before I got the saddle dialed in. As I recall, it took a week of adjustments. Also you can't use grease with thread locker. This is one of those instances where its one or the other but not both.
    I assume you are talking about the pre-applied patch on the threads. Over time its effectiveness will decrease, but how much is hard to say. The post assembly thread locker is Loctite #290. When I used it some years ago it was green with a water-like consistency. Similar to penetrating oil, it wicks right in to where it needs to be. It cures by lack of air. Disassembly often requires heat.

It has other applications, such as sealing porous castings...
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

Previous:
    2001 Fisher Tassahara, Shimano 3x9 (given away)
    2004 Giant TCR-2, Shimano 105 2x9 (sold)
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway, Campagnolo Centaur 2x10 > 3x10 (stolen)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not sure this is a loctite issue. Saddle post /clamp might need to be replaced.
    I see its forward on the rails and long nosed. If U'ved been haven trouble for a while, then maybe its the design and not the bolt.
    Oh, and nice to know we have grammar cadets on patrol.
    Last edited by rudge66; 08-20-2020 at 03:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Before you decide it's getting loose check the torque when it moves on you and see if it's still at 16nm. Those can be a problem slipping even with the right torque. If it's not getting loose, clean the bore really well and the parts and reassemble, use a solvent like alcohol so there's no residue and see if it helps.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection