Threaded to threadless stem question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Threaded to threadless stem question

If I go from a 1" Shimano Ultegra threaded headset (height 37.6mm) with a 135mm stem with a -17 degree rise (parallel to the ground), and go to a new threadless fork (Kestrel EMS) with a Cane Creek S2 threadless headset (height 28mm) and I want to get as close to the previous setup, what degree rise stem should I get because of the difference in headset heights now ? I was thinking 130mm with a -6 or what if I got a -17 ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

You'll have to do the math

The headset stack height difference is relatively small compared to how much of the stem you have showing out of your frame in your current setup. You need to look at how high the bars are relative to the top of the head tube, and then put in the numbers for the stack height of the new head set (above the head tube) and how many cm of spacers you plan to run. See where that puts your bars and whether you need a stem with rise, and how much rise you need. You have not provided enough information to answer your question.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

can't be answered...

You forget that the quill stem is not sitting directly on the headset, so the difference in the headset stack heights is irrelevant.

You need to measure the height of the bars, vertically from the floor to the top of the bars and provide the head tube length, without the headset. From this info, an approximate stem angle and steering tube spacer combination can be calculated.