Threadless stem question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Threadless stem question

I got a good deal on a 1" threadless Kestrel EMS fork from Nashbar and am in the process of putting it on my bike, the headset is threaded so I ordered a new threadless headset, no problem. The question is that I had a Cinelli threaded stem with a Cinelli Eubios handlebar with the anatomic bend in the drops that I like alot, I believe the clamp sized is 26.4mm, what are my stem options for this ? I'd like to keep the handlebar and get a new threadless stem for it ? Any help appreciated, thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Okay, let's try this differently

okay, so maybe this isn't a viable option. The threaded stem was a Cinelli XA with a -17 degree rise (parallel to the ground) I'd like to keep this orientation with a 130mm long stem. My question is don't threaded stems sit higher than threadless stems ? I'm going from a Shimano Ultegra headset to a Cane Creek S2, any suggestions ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

get new bars...

It's been a long time since the 26.4mm bars were made and no one makes a 26.4mm threadless stem.

As for the height of the stem, yes quill stems can be raised higher than threadless, but that's one reason you don't see many 73 (-17) degree stems. Most are 80-84 degrees and can be flipped to 100-96 for more rise (but less reach).

You should measure the height of your current bars, from the floor, vertically to the top of the bars. After installing the headset, you can place at least 2cm of spacer under the stem (more if it's a steel steering tube).

For reference, the handlebar height with a 130mm, 84 degree stem and a total head tube length (with headset and spacers) of 150mm will yield a handlebar height of approximately 88cm. An 80 degree stem would place the bars about 1cm lower. Add to that value if your head tube is longer. 96% of the additional length will be a vertical increase.
    Last edited by C-40; 10-19-2004 at 01:36 PM.

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by macbugs
    I got a good deal on a 1" threadless Kestrel EMS fork from Nashbar and am in the process of putting it on my bike, the headset is threaded so I ordered a new threadless headset, no problem. The question is that I had a Cinelli threaded stem with a Cinelli Eubios handlebar with the anatomic bend in the drops that I like alot, I believe the clamp sized is 26.4mm, what are my stem options for this ? I'd like to keep the handlebar and get a new threadless stem for it ? Any help appreciated, thanks
    What I did on my track bike with the Cinelli bars is to just clamp away on my Ritchey Pro stem. No, it wasn't pretty, but it seems to be holding.

IF YOU DO THIS: Be careful and pay attention to the area! DO NOT just install and forget it. Yer making something work that really shouldn't so you've gotta expect some potential problems.

There ARE other anatomic bars out that are very nice that DO have the right clamp diameter for a new stem. Try a few out. I like the Ritchey Pro bars. I thought about the Curvissimos, but couldn't see spending that much money for a handlebar.

HTH,

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

surgery will help...

If you install a 26.4mm bar in a 26.0 stem there will be a significant area of interference on both sides of the stem, near the gap between the removeable face and the stem.

To eliminate this interferenence, a shallow angled chamfer, 2.5-3.0mm wide could be filed along all four edges to eliminate the interference.

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    If you install a 26.4mm bar in a 26.0 stem there will be a significant area of interference on both sides of the stem, near the gap between the removeable face and the stem.

To eliminate this interferenence, a shallow angled chamfer, 2.5-3.0mm wide could be filed along all four edges to eliminate the interference.
    I may try that. It'd certainly eliminate one area of bad fit...

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    You might be able to make it fit with the "Just Do It" method, but if it fails cause you deformed the handlebars and weakened them in process it could be real ugly coming down a hill at 40+ MPH right after you hit that pot hole and kiss that stem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Okay, I give up

I give up on trying to use the current handlebars. Here's my situation : I am going from a 135mm Cinelli stem with a -17 rise and a Shimano Ultegra headset (stack height 37.6mm).
    The distance from the top of the headset (where the stem enters the headset) to the center of the stem is 45mm. The head tube angle is 73 degrees and is 160mm long.
    Here's what I want to do : Threadless stem with a Cane Creek S2 threadless headset (which has a stack height of 28mm). I'd like to keep the about the same stem length (130mm) with a little bit of rise / the stem parallel to the ground. What size stem with rise would get my really close to the original configuration or a little bit higher and a little bit less stem length ?

Confused in PA