Thru-Axle Reciever Bolt?
    jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Thru-Axle Reciever Bolt?

Is that what it is call? The nut that the thru-axle screw in to. My new frame and wheelset combo didn't include the nut at the rear derailleur hanger. Seller is ignoring my inquire as of now. What is it call? Any good source for online order? It's a DT Swiss C 1800 wheelset (12x142mm) and I'm assuming it's universal?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    It's called a nut AFAIK, a pic of what is missing might help.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod187573

You could also call DT in Grand Junction and see what you can figure out, re: if the frame manufacturer sources it from them.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/dtswiss/subsidiaries

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    It fell out of the frame?
    I never even knew there was a nut in there, I thought the frame droppout was tapped.
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    It fell out of the frame?
    I never even knew there was a nut in there, I thought the frame droppout was tapped.
    That makes two of us. I learn something new every day.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Axles and nuts aren't specific to wheels, they are sized to the frame (and like others, never heard of the nut falling out).
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I agree, the OP should be contacting the frame manuf to get one that fits. Just any old nut just isn't right!
    BANNED

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Here's the pics. So the derailleur dropout is faulty?!
    Attached Images Attached Images

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    It's 2020...can't you manage an in focus close up? You're gonna need to get in touch w/ the frame seller, DT has nothing to do with this.
    #promechaniclife

Neophyte
    Likely nothing is faulty, you're just missing a part that should have come with frame (not wheels).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It's 2020...can't you manage an in focus close up? You're gonna need to get in touch w/ the frame seller, DT has nothing to do with this.
    This is almost 2021, and everyone that has a phone thinks it's a camera. It's not, it's a piece of sh*t!
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    This is almost 2021, and everyone that has a phone thinks it's a camera. It's not, it's a piece of sh*t!
    Depends on the phone. Mine actually takes pretty good photos.

To the OP: If you provide more light on the subject, a closeup will focus better.
    Last edited by Lombard; 5 Days Ago at 06:25 AM.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Post a picture of your RD.
    BANNED

Russian Troll Farmer
    Looks to me that the recess there is designed for what we call a "Double -D capture nut". Looks like it would be specific to that frame manufacturer.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Seller finally responded and getting my missing part.

Neophyte
    there's a fair chance at least 2 pieces are missing, the nut we are all talking about and possibly a smaller screw that keeps the nut in place so it doesn't just fall out when you don't have a wheel in place. If they only send you the nut, but the nut looks like it has taps where a screw should keep it in place (or if the frame has a place where such a holding screw should exist) keep an eye out for that.

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the heads up!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    wow I've never seen a frame where the nut just can fall out so easily like this. For all frames that I've run across, this nut is usually permanently fixed in place. Imagine you're on the road/trail and you take the rear wheel out and this nut go rolling off into the bush. ugh.

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Hoping that it wasn't a fixed at the factory rather than it fell out before boxing. The frame and wheel set came in a standard bike box with no visible trauma.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    you should get an extra nut then. Somehow I get a feeling you'll need it down the road. It's not like you can just go to some hardware store and buy this nut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    It's not uncommon for the 'nut', or 'receiver', or 'threaded insert' to be separate and not built into the frame. It's the same concept as a derailleur hangar. It's a disposable/replaceable part that you can replace if it becomes damaged.

As mentioned, these are proprietary to each frame, so it's probably worth collecting a spare or two, just like with derailleur hangars, when the bike is still new'ish and the parts are easier to source.

Every thru-axle bike I own has a separate 'nut' to receive the thru-axle (Moots Routt RSL, Canyon Endurace, Norco Search XR, Trek Domane).

I think my old RoadMachine may have had the threads tapped into the dropout, but I can't recall for sure.

A couple of examples.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Finx; 3 Days Ago at 12:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    doublepost

Neophyte
    It's usually a separate piece, but I think also usually there's a way to secure it to the frame. Really curious to see what this one looks like, OP can you post a picture when it arrives?

Sucks to have to wait for one piece in the mail when you're trying to do your bike build. Recently got delayed for 2 weeks waiting for a derailleur barrel adjuster. The person who gave me the derailleur had kept the part in case he needed it for his conversion to eTap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    It's the same concept as a derailleur hangar. It's a disposable/replaceable part that you can replace if it becomes damaged.

it's probably worth collecting a spare or two, just like with derailleur hangars
    Hangar: large building for storing airplanes. Hanger: something from which you hang things.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Hangar: large building for storing airplanes. Hanger: something from which you hang things.
    How do you know he doesn't have airplanes flying into his derailleur.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.