Thru Axle Unthreading....
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

Thru Axle Unthreading....

My new bike has hydro brakes shimano, I was riding around town at 3mph and hit a curb (I was looking at a parked car, it was a bentley 1900 or something) and fell. When I got back ready to leave the area, my front threaded axle was 1/2 the way out of the wheel, the whole axle, it was completely unthreaded.

How could the threaded axle come out, has anyone had their's release in a wreck. I had it tighten and this has never happened before. I think I'm going to wrap some velcro around the handle and the fork to make sure it doesn't come unthreaded again.

I'm really worried, cause I just came down Cottonwood Pass, CO at about 40mph average for an hour!!!! OMG!
    BANNED

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Who knows? I've never seen that happen unless the axle wasn't properly tightened. Hitting the curb had nothing to do with it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Neophyte
    Are you saying the threads stripped or just that it was unscrewed?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Agree with CX, likely operator error.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Who knows? I've never seen that happen unless the axle wasn't properly tightened. Hitting the curb had nothing to do with it.
    Have you ever seen a slow speed curb induced crash that snapped a derailleur cable and bent the INNER chain ring on a double so badly it was un-rideable... while leaving the outer chain ring untouched? I have, and even though I saw it happen I could NOT for the life of me figure out how the forces could line up to make it happen. Sure, it had to hit the curb, but I literally could not get it to line up in that way post crash unless I turned it around like the bike was going the opposite direction from what it actually was. My wife has that talent it seems, to break things in unusual ways. Luckily, I could wire the broken cable to the cage bolt and so she got to ride home in the big ring.

Strange things do happen, weird and focused forces do come into play on occasion.

The QR likely hit the curb on the way down. Still, I can't see the QR spinning enough to disengage UNLESS it was not properly tightened in the first place. Loose yes, out, no.

duriel, how many threads are engaged when it is tightened? I suppose it is possible you have the wrong length axle in it. Not likely, but you should make sure.

And make sure you are tightening it down enough. Hitting the right torque (which varies) on such a short lever takes a good bit of force.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I wonder if you accidentally kicked or stepped on it as you were falling. Maybe you unclipped, put your foot down, and clipped it on the way down. Or maybe you it the curb with the handle of the axle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I'm back on the grid...
    It was all the way unthreaded, sticking out about 2", the wheel was really loose!

Maybe the curb hit the thing, I did walk around abit with it beside me after the crash, maybe 100' max, so ....

I'm going to call it a FREAK, mind tighening it for sure and probably do the velco thing.
    It was all the way out and the threads were not stripped, so I'm thinking if you push the bike forward that is the loosening direction and it just got hit on the fall and unloosened while walking around...

But the POINT>>>>.... IF you fall, check your axles.... they may have been hit and good chance they will loosen further if riden.
    BANNED

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I'm back on the grid...
    It was all the way unthreaded, sticking out about 2", the wheel was really loose!

Maybe the curb hit the thing, I did walk around abit with it beside me after the crash, maybe 100' max, so ....

I'm going to call it a FREAK, mind tighening it for sure and probably do the velco thing.
    It was all the way out and the threads were not stripped, so I'm thinking if you push the bike forward that is the loosening direction and it just got hit on the fall and unloosened while walking around...

But the POINT>>>>.... IF you fall, check your axles.... they may have been hit and good chance they will loosen further if riden.
    So it tightened itself?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    loose, means it is loose. Unloosen, means it will tighten.

untighten, means it will proceed to not be tight.

what am I missing? I propose that unloosen and loosen cannot mean the same thing!
    BANNED

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    loose, means it is loose. Unloosen, means it will tighten.

untighten, means it will proceed to not be tight.

what am I missing? I propose that unloosen and loosen cannot mean the same thing!
    Perhaps it is like that whole "flammable" and "inflammable" thing.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "